Abella sentence example
- The more conspicuous buildings are the ancient Gothic cathedral (restored in 1866, and again in 1870 after the interior was destroyed by fire), with its lofty tower, the cavalry barracks, the ex-convent of the Capuchins at a little distance from the city, and the seminary in which are preserved the famous Oscan inscription known as the Cippus Abellanus (from Abella, the modern Avella, q.v.) and some Latin inscriptions relating to a treaty with Nola regarding a joint temple of Hercules.
- Nola lay on the Via Popillia from Capua to Nuceria and the south, and a branch road ran from it to Abella and Abellinum.
- Like these, apparently, were the nuts of Abella, or Avella, in the Campania (cf.
- AVELLA (anc. Abella), a city of Campania, Italy, in the province of Avellino, 23 m.
- to the north-east lies Avella Vecchia, the ancient Abella, regarded by the ancients as a Chalcidian colony.Advertisement