Abdin sentence example
- (I) The Taurus footh i ll barrier that shuts off the east to west course of the Euphrates and Tigris culminates centrally in the rugged volcanic Karaja-Dagh (6070 ft.) which blocks the gap between the two rivers, continued eastwards by the mountainous district of Tur-`Abdin (the modern capital Midyat is at a height of 3500 ft.) and westwards by the elevated tract that sends down southwards the promontory of J.
- from Nasibin in the north-east, bringing with it the waters of the many streams from the Tar `Abdin highlands; the north 'Awij, which at certain seasons brings much water due south from Mardin, and the main stream of the Khabur, which has come 60 m.
- In the pre-Persian period, besides those referred to elsewhere, we may cite Kashyari (Tar `Abdin), Guzanu (Gozan of 2 Kings xvii.
- 6; in the Khabur district), Bit Adini (Osroene), Kummukh (north-west corner and beyond); in the Roman period, Osroene, Mygdonia (in the east), and in Syriac usage Beth `Arbaye (between Nisibis and Mosul); in the Arab period, Diarbekr (T ar `Abdin), Diar Rebi'a (Mygdonia), Diar Muelar (Osroene).
- in Tur `Abdin with the Aramu; 3 but the name may probably with fitness be applied to a very large number of the communities mentioned from time to time.Advertisement
- The language is in most parts Arabic; but Turkish is spoken in Birejik and Urfa, Kurdish and Armenian south of Diarbekr, and some Syriac in Tar `Abdin.
- Abdin Square, which occupies a central position, is connected with Ezbekia Gardens by a straight road.
- On the east side of Abdin Square is Abdin palace, an unpretentious building used for official receptions.
- of Abdin Square, in the Sharia Mehemet Ali, is the Arab museum and khedivial library.
- It is the chief centre of the Jacobite Christians, who have many villages in the Tor Abdin hills to the north-east, and whose patriarch lives at Deir Zaferan, a Syrian monastery of the 9th century not far off in the same direction.Advertisement
- On the evening of the 9th of September 1881, after the military demonstration in Abdin Square, Riaz was dismissed; broken in health he went to Europe, remaining at Geneva until the fall of Arabi.