Abbatis sentence example
- The other derivation of the word from Abbatis (domus) agrees with its vicinity to Yspytty 1 Ifan Ieuan), Hos pitium I oannis, near Pentre'r Foelas.
- Thus Joachim of Floris in his Expositio magni abbatis I oachimi in Apoc. teaches that Babylon is Rome, the Beast from the Sea Islam, the False Prophet the heretical sects of the day, and that on the close of the present age which was at hand the millennium would ensue.
- He also wrote a Vita Abbonis, abbatis Floriacensis, the last of a series of lives of the abbots of Fleury, all of which, except the life of Abbo, have been lost.
- APPENZELL, one of the cantons of north-east Switzerland, entirely surrounded by the canton of St Gall; both were formed out of the dominions of the prince abbots of St Gall, whence the name Appenzell (abbatis cella).
- Leland gives extracts from an Itinerarium Johannis abbatis, describing the journey of Abbot John to Rome in 1140 (Leland, Collectanea, iii.Advertisement
- abbatis, O.E.
- Stubbs' Gesta regis Henrici Secundi Benedicti abbatis (2 vols., Rolls series, 1867), and particularly the preface to the first volume; F.
- orate pro anima Willelmi Thornton abbatis. '58 Valor Eccl.