1769-1770 sentence example
- The great voyage of Captain James Cook, in 1769-1770, was primarily undertaken for the purposes of observing the transit.
- Written in 1766, it appeared in 1769-1770 in Dupont's journal, the Ephemerides du citoyen, and was published separately in 1776.
- In the great Bengal famine of 1769-1770, which occurred shortly after the foundation of British rule, but while the native officials were still in power, a third of the population, or ten millions out of thirty millions, perished.
- The Spanish and English settlers remained in ignorance, real or assumed, of each other's presence until 1769-1770, when Byron's action was nearly the cause of a war between England and Spain, both countries having armed fleets to contest the barren sovereignty.
- Under British rule it is estimated that 10 millions perished within the Lower Provinces alone in the famine of 1769-1770; and the first surveyor-general of Bengal entered on his maps a tract of many hundreds of square miles as bare of villages and "depopulated by the Maghs."Advertisement