YONKERS, a city.
The remainder of his life was spent in retirement at his country home, Greystone, near Yonkers, New York, where he died on the 4th of August 1886.
The cities having a population of 15,000 or more in 1905 were: New York City, 4,013,781; Buffalo, 376,587; Rochester, 181,666; Syracuse, 117,503; Albany, 98,374; Troy, 76,910; Utica, 62,934; Yonkers, 61,716; Schenectady, 58,387; Binghamton, 42,036; Elmira, 34,687; Auburn, 31,422; Niagara Falls, 26,560; Newburgh, 26,498; Jamestown, 26,160; Kingston, 25,556; Watertown, 2 5,447; Poughkeepsie, 25,379; Mt.
It is served by the New York Central & Hudson River and the New York, New Haven & Hartford railways, and by electric lines to New York City, Yonkers, New Rochelle, &c. The city has various manufactures, but in the main is a residential suburb of New York; the finest residences are in the eastern, central and north-eastern sections, the last being known as Chester Hill; the foreign-born element is largely concentrated in the western part.
A large number of charitable and other public institutions have been established in the United States and elsewhere by the order, of which may be mentioned the large orphan asylum in Cleveland, the home for the aged and infirm at Yonkers, N.Y., the National Jewish hospital for consumptives at Denver, and the Maimonides library in New York City.
Yonkers is served by three divisions of the New York Central & Hudson River railway, and is connected with New York City and other places E.
Among the public buildings are the City Hall, the High School and a Manual Training School, and Yonkers is the seat of St Joseph's Theological Seminary (Roman Catholic; 1896), the Halsted School (founded 1874) for girls, and a business college.
Yonkers is an important manufacturing city, and in 1905 the value of its factory products was $33,548,688.
On the site of Yonkers stood an Indian village known as Nappeckamack, or town of the rapid water, at the time of the settlement of the Dutch in New Amsterdam; and a great rock, near the mouth of the Nepperhan Creek, was long a place of Indian worship. The territory was part of the "Keskeskick purchase," acquired from the Indians by the Dutch W.
Early in the War of Independence Yonkers was occupied for a time by part of Washington's army, and was the scene of several skirmishes.
The town of Yonkers was incorporated in 1788 and the village in 1855.
In 1872 Yonkers became a city; at the same time the southern part was separately incorporated as Kingsbridge, which in 1874 was annexed to New York.
Scharf, History of Westchester County (New York, 1886); and Allison, History of Yonkers (New York, 1896).
In 1867 it passed into the possession of Yonkers, and from 1872 to 1908 was used as the city hall.