Within the period of Japans written history several eruptions are recorded the last having been in 1707, when the whole summit burst into flame, rocks were shattered, ashes fell to a depth of several inches even in Yedo (TOkyO), 60 m.
Yedo (Tokyo) 50,000 6,700
It came into existence in KiOto and was thence transferred to Yedo (Tokyo), where the greatest of Japanese playwrights, Chikamatsu Monzaemon (1653-1724), and a musician of exceptional talent, Takemoto Gidayu, collaborated to render this puppet drama a highly popular entertainment.
It flourished for nearly 200 years in Yedo, and is still occasionally performed in Osaka.
Yedo, the shOLiterature guns capital, displaced KiOto as the centre of literary of the activity.
Immediately after the conclusion of the first treaty in 1857, the Yedo authorities instructed the office for studying foreign books (Bunsho torishirabedokoro) to translate excerpts from European and American journals.
Sir Ernest Satow states more definitely that Sakakibara attributes its origin to the year 1695, when portraits of the actor Ichikawa Danjiuro, colored by this process, were sold in the streets of Yedo for five cash apiece.
Among his many other works may be mentioned the Azuma Asobi (Walks round Yedo, 1799).
This new departure reached its climax in the Tokugawa mausolea of Yedo and NikkO, which are enriched by the possession of the most splendid applications of lacquer decoration the world has ever seen, nor is it likely that anything of comparable beauty and grandeur will be again produced in the same line.
Not until the Tokugawa family obtained military control of the whole empire (I6o3), and, fixing its capital at Yedo, required the feudal chiefs to reside there every second year, did the problem of roads and post-stations force itself once more on official attention.
By degrees, however, the progresses of the feudal chiefs to and from Yedo, which at first were simple and economical, developed features of competitive magnificence, and the importance of good roads and suitable accommodation received increased attention.
They carried official messages between Yedo and Osakaa distance of 348 milesin four days by means of a well organized system of relays.
The second class maintained communications between the fiefs and the Tokugawa court as well as their own families in Yedo, for in the alternate years of a feudatorys compulsory residence in that city his family had to live there.
The third class were maintained by a syndicate of 13 merchants as a private enterprise for transmitting letters between the three great cities of KiOto, Osaka and Yedo and intervening places.
The original TOkaidO was taken for model, and Yedo and Nikko were joined by a highway flanked by rows of cryptomeria.
D~ constructed ~o join KiOto with Yedo, but follows an sen O inland course through the provinces of Yamashiro, Omi, Mino, Shinshu, KOtzuke and Musashi.
Th third road, the OshOkaidO runs northward from Yedo o h~k 1d~ (now Tokyo) to Aomori on the extreme north of the S U 5 O~ main island, a distance of 445 iii., and several lesser highways give access to other regions.
TOKYO (or ToKIO, formerly called Yedo), the capital of the empire of Japan, situated in 35° 41' N.
Nearly in the centre of Kojimachi-ku, on an eminence, surrounded by moats, stood the castle of Yedo, formerly the residence of the shoguns, which was burnt down in 1873.
There are no reliable data as to the population of Yedo during the shogunate.
In 1590 Iyeyasu made his formal entry into the castle of Yedo, the extent of which he greatly enlarged.
From this date the real importance of Yedo began.
At the restoration in 1868 the shogunate was abolished, and the population of Yedo speedily decreased.
TADASU HAYASHI, Count (1850-), Japanese statesman, was born in Tokyo (then Yedo), and was one of the first batch of students sent by the Tokugawa government to study in England.
In these views Ito cordially agreed with his chieftain, and was sent on a secret mission to Yedo to report to his lord on the doings of the government.
He was the first officer sent by the Tokugawa government to study naval science in Europe, and after going through a course of instruction in Holland he returned in command of the frigate "Kaiyo Maru," built at Amsterdam to order of the Yedo administration.