Under Wykeham, William of Wynford, who appears in 1360 as "appareller" under Sponle, in 1361 became chief mason and ordinator, and he was probably what we should call the architect of the Great Gate, the rest of which was built under Wykeham's supervision.
For wherever we find Wykeham building afterwards, we find Wynford as chief mason.
When Wykeham was provost of Wells, Wynford was retained as architect on the ist of February1364-1365at a fee of 40s.
In so far as he gave vogue to that style the credit must be given to William of Wynford, not to William of Wykeham.
Meanwhile on the 29th of September 1394 he had begun the recasting of the nave of the cathedral with William Wynford, the architect of the college, as chief mason, and Simon Membury, an old Wykehamist, as clerk of the works.