WUCHANG, the capital of the combined provinces of Hup-eh and Hu-nan, China.
It is one of the three cities, Wuchang, Hanyang and Hankow, which stand together at the mouth of the Han river, and is situated on the right bank of the river Yangtsze, almost directly opposite the foreign settlement of Hankow.
Wuchang is not open to foreign trade and residence, but a considerable number of missionaries, both Roman Catholic and Protestant, live within the walls.
Wuchang is an important junction on the trunk railway from Peking to Canton; and is on the route of the Sze-ch`uen railway.
The population of Hankow, together with the city of Wuchang on the opposite bank, is estimated at 800,000, and the number of foreign residents is about 500.
Large iron-works have been erected by the Chinese authorities at Hanyang, a couple of miles higher up the river, and at Wuchang there are two official cotton mills.
In 1911, when the revolution broke out prematurely at Wuchang, Dr. Sun was in England; but he hurried back to China and arrived at Shanghai on Christmas Eve, in time to be acclaimed as the originator of the Republican programme and elected Provisional President by the delegates to the National Convention assembled at Nanking.