One of the most striking features of Winnipeg is seen in the elaborate system of public schools.
The chief rivers emptying into Lake Winnipeg are the Winnipeg, the Red and the Saskatchewan.
From Lake Winnipeg, and at the confluence of the rivers (" The Forks ") is situated the city of Winnipeg.
The Winnipeg, which flows from the territory lying south-east of Lake Winnipeg, is a noble river some 200 m.
At its falls from Lake of the Woods is one of the greatest and most easily utilized water-powers in the world, and from falls lower down the river electric power for the city of Winnipeg is obtained.
The highest level of the site of the city of Winnipeg is said to have been under 5 ft.
The Saskatchewan, though not in the province, empties into Lake Winnipeg less than half a degree from the northern boundary.
Steamers run from Grand Rapids, through Lake Winnipeg, up Red river to the city of Winnipeg, important locks having been constructed on the river at St Andrews.
There are collegiate institutes for more advanced education at Winnipeg, Brandon and Portage la Prairie, with a total of 1094 pupils enrolled.
There is also a normal school at Winnipeg for the training of teachers.
A well-equipped agricultural college near Winnipeg is provided for sons and daughters of farmers.
Large quantities of fresh fish caught in lakes Winnipeg and Manitoba are exported to all parts of the United States.
Immediately on the‘ formation of the Canadian Pacific railway company branch lines were begun at Winnipeg and there are eight radial lines running from this centre to all parts of the country.
Winnipeg is thus connected with Montreal on the east, and Vancouver on the west, and is the central point of the Canadian Pacific system, having railway..
In opposition to the Canadian Pacific railway a southern line was built from Winnipeg to the American boundary.
This railway has six radiating lines leaving the city of Winnipeg, and its main line connects Port Arthur on Lake Superior with Edmonton in the west.
The Canadian Northern railway has a remarkable network of railways connecting Winnipeg with every corner of Manitoba.
The Great Northern railway has also three branch lines in Manitoba and one of these has Winnipeg as its terminus.
1749), who, gradually pushing westward from Lake Superior, reached Lake Winnipeg in 1733, and in the following year built a fort not far from the present Fort Alexander.
There is more than one meaning of Winnipeg discussed in the 1911 Encyclopedia.
Alba, the white oak, abounding all over the eastern districts to the continent from Lake Winnipeg and the St Lawrence countries of the shores of the Mexican Gulf.
By rail east of Winnipeg, on the Canadian Pacific railway, and at the outlet of the Lake of the Woods.
The Winnipeg River has at this point a fall of 16 ft., which, with the lake as a reservoir, furnishes an abundant and unfailing waterpower.
Pursuing their courses eastward the North and South Saskatchewan rivers unite in the Saskatchewan (Cree, rapid-flowing river), which finds its way to Lake Winnipeg, and thence by way of Nelson river to Hudson Bay.
In 1906 the new line of the Canadian Northern railway was opened, connecting Winnipeg, 1000 m.
The Grand Trunk Pacific railway, backed by the Canadian government, forms a new transcontinental line; the prairie section from Winnipeg to Edmonton was in 1908 under contract.
The Red river flows in a winding channel along the eastern boundary and empties into Lake Winnipeg in Canada, thence reaching Hudson Bay through the Nelson river.
The firstreal homeseekers to enter the state of whom there is any record were a colony of Scottish Highlanders who had first settled at Kildonan (Winnipeg) in 1812 under a grant from the Hudson's Bay Company to Thomas Douglas, 5th earl of Selkirk.
A part of the Winnipeg colony soon migrated southward and settled on the site of the present city of Pembina, at the mouth of the Pembina river, which they thought to be in British territory, and named the settlement Fort Daer.
All of these are rapid and shallow, affording navigation only for canoes; but the largest of them, Nelson river, drains the great Manitoban lakes, Winnipeg, Winnipegosis and Manitoba, which are frequented by steamers, and receive the waters of Lake-of-the-Woods, Lake Seul and many others emptying into Winnipeg river from Ontario; of Red river coming in from the United States to the south; and of the southern parts of the Rocky Mountains and the western prairie provinces drained by the great Saskatchewan river.
Above the sea, and the lowest in the region of Lake Winnipeg, where the prairie is at an elevation of only Soo ft.
The very flat and rich prairie near Winnipeg is the former bed of the glacial Lake Agassiz; but most of the prairie to the west is of a gently rolling character and there are two rather abrupt breaks in the plain, the most westerly one receiving the name of the Missouri Coteau.
(1848); the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Man.
Agricultural colleges are also maintained at Truro, Nova Scotia, and Winnipeg, Manitoba.
For the purposes of this agreement the " fertile belt " was to be bounded as follows: " On the south by the U.S. boundary, on the west by the Rocky Mountains, on the north by the northern branch of the Saskatchewan river, on the east by Lake Winnipeg, the Lake of the Woods, and the waters connecting them."
Fort Garry became Winnipeg, and there were soon indications that it was destined to be a great city, and the commercial doorway to the vast prairies that lay beyond.
The eastern section of 1875 m., extending from Winnipeg to Moncton, where connexion is secured with the winter ports of Halifax and St John, was, under the act of incorporation, to be built by the government, and then leased for fifty years, under certain conditions, to the Grand Trunk Pacific Company.
The western portion, of 1480 m., from Winnipeg to the Pacific, was to be built, owned and operated by the company itself, the government guaranteeing bonds to the extent of 75% of the whole cost of construction.
While the older universities have increased greatly in influence and efficiency, the following new foundations have been made since confederation: - University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, 1877; Presbyterian College, Winnipeg, 1870; Methodist College, Winnipeg, 1888; Wesleyan College, Montreal, 1873; Presbyterian College, Montreal, 1868; School of Practical Science, Toronto, 1877; Royal Military College, Kingston, 1875; M`Master University, Toronto, 1888.
WINNIPEG, the capital of Manitoba, and chief city of Western Canada.
Its acquisition by Canada and the influx of settlers from Eastern Canada led to the greater importance of Winnipeg, as the new town was now generally called.
The establishment of Dominion government agencies, the formation of a local government, the machinery required for the government of the province, the influx of a small army of surveyors who mapped out and surveyed wide districts of the country, and the taking up of free lands in all directions by Canadian settlers, all tended to build up the hamlet of Winnipeg into a considerable town.
The following figures of population show the remarkable increase of Winnipeg: (1870) 215; (1874) 1 1869; (1885) 1 9,574; (1898) 39,3 8 4; (1901) 4 2, 34 0; (1905) 79,975; (1906) 90,153; (1907) roo,000 (estimated).
The city has decided to introduce electric power from Winnipeg river, at a point some 50 m.
All parts of the city are reached by the Winnipeg electric street railway, which runs north for 25 m.
The geographical position of Winnipeg is unique for the purposes of trade.
The trade from the wide extent of three-quarters of a million of square miles of prairie and woodland, becoming more populous every year, must flow as through a narrow spout at Winnipeg; every railway must pass through Winnipeg.
In consequence Winnipeg is already a 1 Incorporated in this year as a city.
Of Winnipeg, on the Canadian Pacific and Canadian Northern railways, at an altitude of 854 ft.
The clay belt is in latitudes south of Winnipeg, with a good summer climate but cold winters.
The latter lake with Rainy Lake and other connected bodies of water belong to the Hudson Bay system of waters, their outlet being by Winnipeg river to Lake Winnipeg, from which flows Nelson river.
Of Winnipeg, 1184 ft.
Winnipeg, Canada >>
2 These "gens de mer" were the Winnebago Indians; the name "ouinipegou," meaning "men of the fetid water," was interpreted by the French to apply to salt water, whereas it probably referred to sulphur springs near Lake Winnipeg, from which the Winnebago came to Green Bay.
The principal cities and towns are: Winnipeg (90,153), Brandon (10,408), Portage la Prairie (5106), St Boniface (5119), West Selkirk (2701), and Morden (1437).
North of Winnipeg and about moo m.
They had also penetrated to what is now the Canadian West, and it was a French Canadian, La Verendrye, who, by the route leading past the point where now stands the city of Winnipeg, pressed on into the far West until in 1743, first recorded of white men, he came in sight of the Rocky Mountains.