In the 17th century, Thomas Shirley brought the natural gas of Wigan, in Shropshire, to the notice of the Royal Society.
For the endless chain system, which is much used in the Wigan district, a double line of way is necessary, one line for full and the other for empty tubs.
In the large shafts of the Northern and Wigan districts the cages are made about 8 ft.
Wigan is a name derived from the town Wigan and seems to have been originally applied to a stiff canvas-like cloth used for lining skirts.
Of Wigan, on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway.
Of Wigan, on the Great Central railway.
WIGAN, a market town, and municipal, county and parliamentary borough of Lancashire, England, 194 m.
The educational institutions include the free grammar school (founded by James Leigh in 1619 and rebuilt in 1876), the Wigan and District Mining and Technical College (built by public subscription and opened in 1903) and the mechanics' institution, also the convent of Notre Dame (1854), with a college for pupil teachers and a high school for girls, and several Roman Catholic schools.
Area 5082 acres, including the former urban district of Pemberton (pop. 21, 664 in 1901), which was included with Wigan in 1904.
Wigan, otherwise Wygan and Wigham, is not mentioned in Domesday Book, but three of the townships, Upholland, Dalton and Orrel are named.
After the Conquest Wigan was part of the barony of Newton, and the church was endowed with a carucate of land, the origin of the manor.
Some time before Henry III.'s reign the baron of Newton granted to the rector of Wigan the manorial privileges.
Granted a charter to the famous John Mansel, parson of the church, by which Wigan was constituted a free borough and the burgesses permitted to have a Giid Merchant.
On the 1st of April 1643 the Parliamentarians under Sir John Seaton captured Wigan afte'- severe fighting.
In 1651 Lord Derby landed from the Isle of Man and marched through Preston to Wigan on the way to join Charles II.
At Wigan Lane on the 25th of August a fierce battle took place between the Royalist forces under Lord Derby and Sir Thomas Tyldesley and the Parliamentarians under Colonel Lilburne, in which the Royalists were defeated, Tyldesley was killed and Lord Derby wounded.
Wigan Harvey (2 vols., Cambridge, 1857), the latter being the only edition which contains the Syriac fragments.
After becoming Lord Colchester on his brother's death he entered parliament as member for Wigan in 1681 and procured a commission in the Horseguards under Sarsfield in 1686.
Ashton, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Bolton and Wigan form a nearly confluent semicircle of great towns, their prosperity founded on the underlying coal and iron, maintained by imported cotton.
In 1295 Wigan returned two members to parliament and again in 1307; the right then remained in abeyance till 1547, but from that time till 1885, except during the Commonwealth, the borough returned two members, and since 1885 one member.