From Birmingham, and includes Smethwick, West Bromwich, Dudley, Oldbury, Sedgley, Tipton, Bilston, Wednesbury, Wolverhampton and Walsall as its most important centres.
1865 she was sent as nurse to their cottage hospital in Walsall, and from 1867 to 1877 she was in charge of a new hospital there.
The town, which lies high in a hilly situation, is the centre of a residential district for persons having their business offices in Birmingham, Walsall and other towns.
WALSALL, a market town and municipal, county and parliamentary borough of Staffordshire, England, on the northern edge of the Black Country, and on a tributary stream of the Tame.
There are large charities, and Walsall was the scene of the charitable work of Sister Dora (Miss Pattison) whom a statue commemorates.
Walsall (Waleshales, Walshall, Walsaler) is included in the list of lands given in 996 to the church of Wolverhampton, which, however, did not retain it long.
Confirmed to the burgesses a grant of freedom from toll on the ground that Walsall was ancient demesne of the Crown.
(1627), confirmed in 1661, incorporating it under the title of "the Mayor and Commonalty of the Borough and Foreign of Walsall": under the act of 1835 the town was governed by a mayor, six aldermen and eighteen town councillors.
Walsall had a merchant gild in 1390; in the 17th century it was already known for its manufacture of iron goods and nail-making.
Glew, History of the Borough and Foreign of Walsall (1856).
An overhead electric tramway connects with Walsall, 31 m.