VALLETTA, or Valetta, the capital of Malta (since 1570).
On the main promontory, with Valletta, stands the suburb Floriana; Fort St Elmo, with a lighthouse, stands on the extremity of the promontory; the suburb Sliema lies on the point which encloses the Marsamuschetto harbour; Fort Ricasoli on the opposite point enclosing the east, Grand, or Great Harbour.
The streets of Valletta, paved with stone, run along and across the ridge, and end on each side towards the water in steep flights of steps.
Roman Catholic churches in Valletta are very numerous; the cathedral of S.
The knights strengthened Valletta and its harbour by bastions, curtain-walls, lines and forts, towards the sea, towards the land and on every available point, taking advantage in every particular of the natural rock and of the marvellous advantages of situation, rendering it then almost impregnable.
Since the British occupation Valletta has been a naval and military station of the first importance.
Of Valletta Observatory 35° 53' 55" N., long.
In addition to the harbours of Valletta, there are in Malta, facing N.W., the bays called Mellieha and St Paul's, the inlets of the Salina, of Madalena, of St Julian and St Thomas; on the S.E.
Mount Sceberras (on which Valletta is built) is a precipitous promontory about m.
At the end of the rule of the knights (1798) the population was estimated at roo,000; sickness, famine and emigration during the blockade of the French in Valletta probably reduced the inhabitants to 80,000.
The capital is named after its founder, the Grand Master de la Valette, but from its foundation it has been called Valletta (pop. 1901, 24,685); it contains the palace of the Grand Masters, the magnificent Auberges of the several " Langues " of the Order, the unique cathedral of St John with the tombs of the Knights and magnificent tapestries and marble work; a fine opera house and hospital are conspicuous.
Between the inner fortifications of Valletta and the outer works, across the neck of the peninsula, is the suburb of Floriana (pop. 7278).
To the southeast of Valletta, at the other side of the Grand Harbour, are the cities of Senglea (pop. 8093), Vittoriosa (pop. 8 993); and Cospicua (pop. 12,184); this group is often spoken of as " The Three Cities."
Across the Marsamuscetto Harbour of Valletta is a considerable modern town called Sliema.
Internal communications include a railway about eight miles long from Valletta to Notabile; there are electric tramways and motor omnibus services in-several directions.
Of Valletta, with which it is connected by railway.
It was the capital of the island till its supersession by Valletta in 1570.
There is a secondary school for girls in Valletta, and one for boys in Gozo.
He made his name immortal by founding on Mt Sceberras " a city built by gentlemen for gentlemen " and making Valletta a magnificent example of fortification, unrivalled in the world.