On the adjacent Marienplatz are the old townhall, dating from the 14th century and restored in 1865, and the new town-hall, the latter a magnificent modern Gothic erection, freely embellished with statues, frescoes, and stainedglass windows, and enlarged in 1900-1905.
The public buildings include two hospitals, a townhall, music hall, library and reading room and science institute.
It has an old Gothic church, and its townhall was formerly a commandery of the Teutonic knights.
Other noteworthy buildings are the konak or governor's residence, the Roman Catholic and Orthodox cathedrals, the hospital, the townhall and the museum, with fine antiquarian and natural history collections.
The other public buildings include an episcopal palace, a townhall and numerous churches.
It has a fine quay, townhall and park.
The townhall contains a collection of municipal and mining laws dating as far back as 1389.
From this point the Raadhusgade leads north-west to the combined Nytorv-og-Gammeltorv, where is the old townhall (Raadhus, 1815), and continues as the NBrregade to the Vor Frue Kirke (Church of our Lady), the cathedral church of Copenhagen.
The Butter Cross, a beautiful example of timber work of the date 1633, was removed when the townhall was building, and re-erected in the pleasure ground of the Grange.
Among the public buildings are the governor's and bishop's palaces, townhall, cathedral and 9 churches, national college, episcopal seminary and schools of law and medicine, theatre, two hospitals, custom-house, and several asylums and charitable institutions.
The post-office, formerly the meeting-house of the Estates, a building adorned with old frescoes; the royal palace, which contains some very fine Renaissance work; and the townhall, built in 1446 and restored in 1860, are also noteworthy.
The interesting Renaissance townhall was built in 1554 (restored in 1879).