THORNABY-ON-TEES, a municipal borough in the North Riding of Yorkshire, England, 3 m.
It lies opposite Stockton-on-Tees, with which it is connected by a bridge, on the river Tees.
These, however, were ere long rivalled and afterwards superseded by the Shorthorn or Durham breed, which the brothers Charles and Robert Coiling obtained from the useful race of cattle that had long existed in the valley of the Tees, by applying to them the principle of breeding which Bakewell had already established.
To this period also belong George and Matthew Culley - the former a pupil of Bakewellwho left their paternal property on the bank of the Tees and settled on the Northumbrian side of the Tweed, bringing with them the valuable breeds of live stock and improved husbandry of their native district.
By a range of low hills extending from the Caledon above Wepener to the Orange river, and south of the Orange by the Telle or Tees river to its source in the Drakensberg.
North of the Tees, Sadberg in Durham is the only district which was called a wapentake, and the rest of the ancient administrative divisions of the three northern counties were called wards.
A f'rm sandy beach extends westward to Redcar and the mouth of the Tees, while eastward towards Whitby the cliffs become very fine, Boulby Cliff (666 ft.) being the highest sea cliff in England.
It lies in a slightly undulating plain on the small river Skerne, a tributary of the Tees, not far from the main river.
He learned practical engineering at Middlesborough-on-Tees, and about 1850 invented a mechanical system for the drainage of land.
The white walls of the fortress contrast with the green tees which surround them, and the lighthouse, 117 ft.