In 1898 Russia obtained a lease of the Liao-tung peninsula, and a clause of this contract empowered her to connect Port Arthur and Dalny (now Tairen) with the main Manchurian railway by a branch southward from Harbin.
In the sequel of the war of 19045 Japan, with Chinas consent, acquired from Russia the lease of the portion of the South-Manchuria S railway (see MANCHURIA) between Kwang-cheng-tsze Oil (Chang-chun) on the north and Tairen (Dalny), Port Magchurja Arthur and Niuchwang on the southa total length ~ ~ of 470 m.
It also works coal-fields at Yentai and Fushun; has a line of steamers plying between Tairen and Shanghai; and engages in enterprises of electricity, warehousing and the management of houses and lands within zones 50 Ii (17 m.) wide on either side of the line.
The chief cities, Mukden, Liao-yang, Niu-chwang, Port Arthur and Tairen (Dalny) are separately noticed.
Sheng-king is well supplied with railways, Mukden being in direct railway connexion with Peking, Niu-chwang, Port Arthur and Tairen as well as with the Korean railways, and with Europe and Vladivostock by the trans-Siberian line.
The Russian town of Dalny (now Tairen) was built upon the west side of the bay, known as Port Victoria.