In 1717 this part of Marlboro, with other lands, was erected into the township of Westboro, to which parts of Sutton (1728),(1728), Shrewsbury (1762 and 1793) and Upton (1763) were subsequently annexed, and from which Northboro was separated in 1766.
Sutton, Systematic Handbook of Volumetric Analysis (1904); F.
In August 1903 the Hime ministry resigned and was succeeded by a cabinet under the premiership of Mr (afterwards Sir) George Sutton, the founder of the wattle industry in Natal and one of the pioneers in the coal-mining industry.
In May 1905 Sir George Sutton was replaced by a coalition ministry under Mr C. J.
The shipping trade is carried on both at the town itself and at Sutton Bridge, 8 m.
Gull and Sutton asserted that in particular states of body, and more especially in the condition associated with cirrhotic kidney, such a fibrosis becomes general, running, as they alleged it does, along the adventitia of arteries and spreading to their capillaries.
Thus Charterhouse school, part of the foundation of Sir Thomas Sutton (1611), was moved from Finsbury to Godalming, Surrey; St Paul's School occupies modern buildings at Hammersmith, and Christ's Hospital is at Horsham, Sussex.
The dissolved monastery of the Charterhouse, which had been bought and sold by the courtiers several times, was obtained from Thomas, earl of Suffolk, by Thomas Sutton for 13,000.
Schoolhouse were begun in 1611, and in the same year Sutton died.
-SUTTON, CHARLES MANNERS (1755-1828), archbishop of Canterbury, was educated at Charterhouse and Cambridge.
He came of an old family connected with Sutton Place, near Guildford, of which in later years he wrote a very interesting historical account (Annals of an Old Manor House, 1893).
The baptism was performed in a drawing-room of Kensington Palace on the 24th of June by Dr Manners Sutton, archbishop of Canterbury.
At the time of the Domesday Survey Kent comprised sixty hundreds, and there was a further division into six lests, probably representing the shires of the ancient kingdom, of which two, Sutton and Aylesford, correspond with the present-day lathes.
The five modern lathes (Aylesford, St Augustine, Scray, Sheppey and Sutton-at-Hone) all existed in the time of Edward I., with the additional lathe of Bedding, which was absorbed before the next reign in that of St Augustine.
In 1291 the archdeaconry of Canterbury was coextensive with that diocese and included the deaneries of Westbere, Bridge, Sandwich, Dover, Elham, Lympne, Charing, Sutton, Sittingbourne, Ospringe and Canterbury; the archdeaconry of Rochester, also co-extensive with its diocese, included the deaneries of Rochester, Dartford, Mailing and Shoreham.
In 1845 the deaneries of Charing, Sittingbourne and Sutton were comprised in the new archdeaconry of Maidstone, which in 1846 received in addition the deaneries of Dartford, Mailing and Shoreham from the archdeaconry of Rochester.
The Domesday Survey, besides testifying to the agricultural activity of the country, mentions over one hundred salt-works and numerous valuable fisheries, vines at Chart Sutton and Leeds, and cheese at Milton.
Howth, Malahide and Sutton to the north, and Bray to the south, are, favoured seaside watering-places outside the radius of actual suburbs.
He early became vicar of Boughton Malherbe and of Sutton Valence, and later of Ivychurch, Kent; but, desiring a more worldly career, he entered the service of Cuthbert Tunstall, bishop of London.
1371, the name of which is preserved by the famous public school established on the site by Thomas Sutton A.D.
SUTTON COLDFIELD, a municipal borough in the Tamworth parliamentary division of Warwickshire, England, 7 m.
Sutton Coldfield (Svtone, Sutton in Colefeud, Sutton Colfild, King's Sutton) is mentioned in the Domesday Survey as a possession of the Conqueror and as having been held before that time by Edwin, earl of Mercia.
The town had fallen "into much ruin," according to Leland, and would never have reached its present position but for the interest of John Vesey, bishop of Exeter, a native of the place, who procured for it a charter of incorporation in 1529 under the title of the "Warden and Society of the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield."
In 1855 Sutton was divided into six wards, with an alderman and three councillors for each.
The populous suburb of Sutton, extending S.S.E.
The following mixtures of seeds (stated in pounds per acre) have been recommended for sowing on water-meadows, Messrs Sutton of Reading, after considerable experience, regarding No.
In 1673 Ray married Margaret Oakley of Launton (Oxford); in 1676 he went to Sutton Coldfield, and in 1677 to Falborne Hall in Essex.
Young Sterne took orders, and through this uncle's influence obtained in 17 3 8 the living of Sutton-in-the-Forest, some 8 m.
Sutton was Sterne's residence for twenty uneventful years.
From Sutton, but Sterne, in spite of his double duties, seems to have been a frequent visitor there, and to have found in his not too strait-laced friend a highly congenial companion.
Francis Pierrepoint at Nottingham, he was in 1657 presented by the former to the living of Sutton in Bedfordshire.
Photog., 1861), and Thomas Sutton (Photographic Notes, 1862); it has been treated by O.
Von Rohr showed that for systems fulfilling neither the Airy nor the Bow-Sutton condition, the ratio a' tan w' la tan w will be constant for one distance of the object.
In this connexion it is very interesting to observe that Messrs Sutton of Reading find that the seedlings of many of the varieties of potato that occur spontaneously in different parts of America come quite true to type from seed.
1876, p. 304) succeeded in grafting the potato on the tomato, and Messrs Sutton have carried out similar experiments on an extensive scale (Journ.
His education at Winchester, no doubt in the Great Grammar school or High school in Minster Street, was paid for by some patron unnamed by the biographer, perhaps Sir Ralph Sutton, who is named first by Wykeham among his benefactors to be prayed for by his colleges.
Warburton now received from Sir Robert Sutton the small living of Greasley, in Nottinghamshire, exchanged next year for that of Brant Broughton, Lincolnshire.
Thorpe Mandeville, Helion Bumstead, Higham Ferrers, Swaffham Bulbeck, Stoke Gifford, Shepton Mallet; similarly names like Lyme Regis, King's Sutton, Monks' Kirby, Zeal Monachorum, Milton Abbas, Bishop's Waltham, Prior's Dean, Huish Episcopi date from feudal times.
Passing over the Cross Keys Wash, near Sutton Bridge, his baggage and treasure wagons were engulfed and he himself barely escaped with life.
The Burgoynes of Sutton, whose baronetcy dates from 1641, have been in Bedfordshire since the 15th century, whilst the Osborn family have owned Chicksands Priory since its purchase by Peter Osborn in 1576.
On some parts of the coast there are fine stretches of sand, and Cleethorpes, Skegness, Mablethorpe and Sutton-on-Sea are favourite resorts for visitors.
Sutton Bridge is a lesser port on the Wash.
This company works jointly with the Great Eastern the line from March to Spalding, Lincoln, Gainsborough and Doncaster, and with the Midland that from Saxby to Bourn, Spalding, Holbeach, Sutton Bridge and King's Lynn.
Urban districts--Holbeach (4755), Long Sutton (2524), Spalding (9385), Sutton Bridge (2105).
The church of Long Sutton, besides its fine Norman nave, possesses an Early English tower and spire which is comparable with the very early specimen at Oxford cathedral.
In 1902, an American named Walter Sutton noticed that chromosomes duplicated themselves before cells divided so that each new cell had a full copy of the chromosomes.