HICKS, WILLIAM (1830-1883), British soldier, entered the Bombay army in 1849, and served through the Indian mutiny, being mentioned in despatches for good conduct at the action of Sitka Ghaut in 1859.
Near the Pacific Coast the forests consist principally of hemlock, cedar and Sitka spruce.
American naturalists regard the big brown bears of Alaska as a distinct group. They range from Sitka to the extremity of the Alaskan Peninsula, over Kodiak Island, and inland.
The Pacific coast Transition zone is noted for its forests of giant conifers, principally Douglas fir, Sitka spruce, Pacific cedar and Western hemlock, Here, too, mosses and ferns grow in profusion, and the sadal (Gaultheria shailon), thimble berry (Rubus nootkamus), salmon berry (Rubus spectabilis) and devils club, (Fatsia horr-ida) are characteristic shrubs.
In October 1906 the seat of government of Alaska was removed from Sitka to Juneau.
Thus we have to go north as far as Sitka in 57° N.
He is assisted by two bishops, one for Alaska residing at Sitka, one for Orthodox Syrians residing in Brooklyn.
The summers are much cooler than on the mainland at Sitka, but the winter temperature of the islands and of south-eastern Alaska is very nearly the same.
At Sitka; the average temperature is 40.6° F., rainfall 59 in.
On the Yukon at the international boundary the mean of the warmest month is higher than that of the warmest month at Sitka, 500 m.
Far the most abundant are coast and Alpine hemlocks and the tide-land or Sitka spruce.
Of this road were in 1 Seattle, Sitka and Valdez are connected by cable; telegraph lines run from the Panhandle inland to the Yukon and down its valley to Fort St Michael.
Sitka, Juneau (the capital) and Douglas, both centres of a rich mining district, Skagway, shipping point for freight for the Klondike country (see these titles), and St Michael, the ocean port for freighting up the Yukon, are the only towns apparently assured of a prosperous future.
He founded Sitka in 1804 after the massacre by the natives of the inhabitants of an earlier settlement (1799) at an adjacent point.