Norwood, originally called Sharpsburg, was settled about 1798, laid out as a town in 1873, incorporated as a village in 1888, and chartered as a city in 1903.
The town of Sharpsburg represents the fingers of the archer drawing the bow.
Here occurred the fighting in the "Bloody Lane," north of Sharpsburg which French and Richardson eventually carried.
The only battle of much importance fought on Maryland soil during the war was that of Sharpsburg or Antietam on the 16th and 17th of September 1862.
During the U.S. Civil War, in the Battle of Sharpsburg, were 23,000 casualties in a single day: September 17, 1862.