In Parnell is the former residence of Bishop Selwyn, who, arriving in the colony in 1842, assisted to draw up the constitution of the Anglican church.
Selwyn, The Christian Prophets (London, 1900); Bonwetsch, art.
18 73); William Selwyn (1806-1875), canon of Ely and Lady Margaret professor at Cambridge; Dr John J ebb (1805-1886), canon of Hereford; and Dr William Kay (1820-1886).
He then joined George Augustus Selwyn, bishop of New Zealand, in a mission to the Melanesian islands.
C. Selwyn he wrote North America (1883) for Stanford's Compendium.
The Melanesian Mission, associated with the names of Selwyn and Patteson, is officially connected with the Church of New Zealand, but is also largely supported in Australia.
In 1840 the country became a British colony, and soon afterwards George Selwyn was consecrated bishop. He was so impressed with the work of native evangelists that he founded a college in Auckland where such teachers could be trained.
In 1877 John Selwyn was consecrated bishop. Wesleyan native evangelists from Fiji and Tonga carried Christianity in 1875 to the Bismarck Archipelago.
A short memoir of him appeared in 1856 from the hand of William Selwyn, his successor in the divinity professorship.
The diocese of New Zealand was founded in 1841, being endowed by the Church Missionary Society through the council, and George Augustus Selwyn was chosen as the first bishop. Since then the increase has gone on, as the result both of home effort and of the action of the colonial churches.
Similar action was taken in 1858, when Bishop Selwyn became metropolitan of New Zealand; and again in 1860, when, on the petition of the Canadian bishops to the crown and the colonial legislature for permission to elect a metropolitan, letters patent were issued appointing Bishop Fulford of Montreal to that office.
There is more than one meaning of George Augustus Selwyn discussed in the 1911 Encyclopedia.
CHRISTCHURCH, a city near the east coast of South Island, New Zealand, to the north of Banks Peninsula, in Selwyn county, the capital of the provincial district of Canterbury and the seat of a bishop. Pop. (1906) 49,928; including suburbs, 67,878.