ALLEPPI, or Aulapalay, a seaport of southern India, in the state of Travancore, 33 m.
ALGHERO, a seaport and episcopal see on the W.
YOKOSUKA, a seaport and naval station of Japan, on the W.
SHEERNESS, a garrison town and naval seaport in the Faversham parliamentary division of Kent, England, in the Isle of Sheppey, on the right bank of the Medway estuary at its junction with the Thames, 51 m.
STRALSUND, a seaport of Germany, in the Prussian province of Pomerania, on the west side of the Strelasund, an arm of the Baltic, 12 m.
SVENDBORG, a seaport of Denmark, capital of the amt (county) of its name, on the south shore of the island of Fiinen.
Nominally part of the sultanate of Tlemcen, Algiers had a large measure of independence under amirs of its own, Oran being the chief seaport of the Abd-elWahid.
CARTAGENA, or CARTHAGENA, a seaport of south-eastern Spain, in the province of Murcia; in 37° 36' N.
TEIGNMOUTH, a seaport and market town in the Ashburton parliamentary division of Devonshire, England, at the mouth of the river Teign, on the English Channel, 15 m.
To a seaport or distributing centre.
HARWICH, a municipal borough and seaport in the Harwich parliamentary division of Essex, England, on the extremity of a small peninsula projecting into the estuary of the Stour and Orwell, 70 m.
STRANRAER, a royal and police burgh and seaport of Wigtownshire, Scotland.
GISBORNE, a seaport of New Zealand, in Cook county, provincial district of Auckland, on Poverty Bay of the east coast of North Island.
BRIELLE (Briel or Bril), a seaport in the province of South Holland, Holland, on the north side of the island of Voorne, at the mouth of the New Maas, 51 m.
Laredo was named from the seaport in Spain, and was founded in 1767 as a Mexican town; it originally included what is now Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, and was long the only Mexican town on the left bank of the river.
HARBURG, a seaport town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hanover, on the left bank of the southern arm of the Elbe, 6 m.
TROMSO, a seaport of Norway, capital of the amt (county) and stift (diocese) of the same name on the north-western coast.
The wide extension of the cult is attributable largely to Syrian merchants; thus we find traces of it in the great seaport towns; at Delos especially numerous inscriptions have been found bearing witness to its importance.
Iskenderia), a city and chief seaport of Egypt, and for over a thousand years from its foundation the capital of the country, situated on the Mediterranean in 31° 12' N., 2 9 ° 15' E., and 129 m.
Vliona), a town and seaport of Albania, Turkey, in the vilayet of Iannina.
AMBRIZ, a West African seaport belonging to Portugal, at the mouth of the Loje River, in 7° 50' S., 13° E., some 70 m.
KOTKA, a seaport of Finland, in the province of Viborg, 35 m.
HARDERWYK, a seaport in the province of Gelderland, Holland, on the shores of the Zuider Zee, 17 m.
CARDIFF, a city, municipal, county and parliamentary borough, seaport and market-town, and the county town of Glamorganshire, South Wales, situated on the Taff, 5 m.
STAVANGER, a seaport of Norway, capital of Stavanger amt (county), on the west coast in 59° N.
Aliwal North was so called to distinguish it from Aliwal South, now Mossel Bay, the seaport of the pastoral Grasveld district, on the west side of Mossel Bay.
ANAPA, a seaport town of Russia, in the government of Kuban, on the N.
BARMOUTH (Abermaw, mouth of the Maw, or Mawddach, in Cardigan Bay, the only haven in Merionethshire, North Wales), a small seaport on the north of the estuary.
AUCKLAND, a city and seaport on the east coast of North Island, New Zealand, in Eden county; capital of the province of its name, and the seat of a bishop. Pop. (1906) 37,736; including suburbs, 82,101.
NEWHAVEN, a seaport in the Eastbourne parliamentary division of Sussex, England, 56 m.
BUTRINTO, a seaport and fortified town of southern Albania, Turkey, in the vilayet of Iannina; directly opposite the island of Corfu (Corcyra), and on a small stream which issues from Lake Vatzindro or Vivari, into the Bay of Butrinto, an inlet of the Adriatic Sea.
BISCEGLIE (perhaps anc. Natiolum), a seaport and episcopal see of Apulia, Italy, on the E.S.E.
As a seaport its trade is now confined exclusively to the Zuider Zee.
Of its seaport Mollendo (107 m.
To the seaport of Kismayu, 10 m.
In October 1903 a new forward movement was begun, the mullah being still in the eastern Nogal, while he had also seized the Italian seaport of Illig, north of Obbia.
This was within historic times a great inlet of the English Channel, and Winchelsea was a famous seaport until the 15th century.
Out in the English Channel, a seaport had grown up on a low peninsula.
BRIXHAM, a seaport and market town in the Torquay parliamentary division of Devonshire, England, 33 m.
- Berbera (q.v.) is the capital and chief seaport of the protectorate.
Close to the French frontier stands the seaport of Zaila (q.v.).
ALLOA, a municipal and police burgh and seaport of Clackmannanshire, Scotland.