SCHWEIDNITZ, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Silesia, picturesquely situated on the left bank of the Weistritz, 28 m.
The beer of Schweidnitz has long been famous under the name of "Schwarze Schdps," and in the 16th century it was exported as far as Italy.
Schweidnitz is the chief grain market of the district.
Schweidnitz, dating from about the 11th century, received civic rights in 1250.
The "PSlerei of Schweidnitz" is the name given to the riotous revolt of the town, in 1520-1522, against a royal edict depriving it of the right of coining its own money.
Schmidt, Geschichte der Stadt Schweidnitz (2 vols., Schweidnitz, 1846-1848).
The towns next in point of size are Gorlitz, Liegnitz, K6nigshiitte, Beuthen, Schweidnitz, Neisse and Glogau.
Thus by the end of the 14th century the country had been split up into 18 principalities: Breslau, Brieg, Glogau, Jauer, Liegnitz, Miinsterberg, Ols, Schweidnitz and Steinau in Lower Silesia; Beuthen, Falkenberg, Kosel, Neisse, Oppeln, Ratibor, Strehlitz, Teschen and Troppau in the upper district.
He was among the first members of the league of Schmalkalden, assented to the religious peace of Nuremberg in 1532, and died at Schweidnitz on the 16th of August 1532.