It stretches from Cape Negrais on the south to the Naaf estuary, which divides it from the Chittagong division of Eastern Bengal and Assam on the north, and includes the districts of Sandoway, Kyaukpyu, Akyab and northern Arakan, an area of some 18,540 sq.
SANDOWAY, a town and district in the Arakan division of Lower Burma.
Sandoway was ceded to the British, with the rest of Arakan, by the treaty of Yandabo in 1826.
At Sandoway this amounts to an annual mean of 212 in.
The division has its headquarters at Akyab and consists of four districts - namely, Akyab, Northern Arakan Hill Tracts, Sandoway and Kyaukpyu, formerly called Ramree.
These are the Talak and the Aeng, navigable by boats; and the Sandoway, the Taungup and the Gwa streams, the latter of which alone has any importance, owing to its mouth forming a good port of call or haven for vessels of from 9 to io ft.