Its chief tributaries on this last portion of its course are the Alz and the Salzach, and at Passau, 309 m.
Upper Austria belongs to the watershed of the Danube, which flows through it from west to east, and receives here on the right the Inn with the Salzach, the Traun, the Enns with the Steyr and on its left the Great and Little MÃ¼hl rivers.
Of the Salzach, the region of the limestone Alps and the undulating foothill region.
The Hohe Tauern contains many high lying valleys, traversed by the streams which flow into the Salzach, as well as numerous depressions and passes, here called popularly Tauern.
The region of the limestone Alps is composed of several detached groups: a portion of the Kitzbiihler Alps, which contain the famous Thurn pass (4183 ft.); then the Salzburg Alps, which contain the Loferer Steinberge and the peak Birnhorn (8637 ft.); the Reitalm or the Reiteralpe with the peak Stadelhorn (7495 ft.); and the broad mass of the SchOnfeldspitze (8708 ft.), from which the great glacier-covered block of the Ewiger Schnee, or tbergossene Alps projects into the Salzach valley.
Are the Hagengebirge (7844 ft.); the beautiful summit of the Hoher Goll (8263 ft.); the Tennegebirge (7217 ft.); and the Untersberg, an outpost of the Berchtesgaden group. Between the Hagengebirge and the Tennengebirge, which are situated on each side of the Salzach valley, is one of the most magnificent narrow passes of the Alps.
The two falls at Wildbad-Gastein (196 and 296 ft.); the fall, by which the Gasteiner Ache discharges itself into the Salzach, near Lend; the Tauern fall (660 ft.), formed by the Tauern Ache on the N.
Narrow passages leading from the Salzach valley to the valleys of smaller rivers, the most celebrated are the Kitzloch Klamm and the Liechtenstein Klamm.
4 a of the earliest settlements in the Salzach valley, and was a principal centre of Protestantism.
The Inn is navigable before it enters Bavarian territory, and afterwards receives the Salzach, a large river flowing from Upper Austria.
The city occupies a position of singular beauty on the Salzach which passes at this point between two isolated hills, the MOnchsberg (1646 ft.) on the left and the Capuzinerberg (2132 ft.) on the right.
The older and main part of the city lies on the left bank of the Salzach, in a narrow semicircular plain at the base of the M6nchsberg; the newer town is on the right bank at the foot of the Capuzinerberg, which is separated from the river by the narrow suburb of Stein.
The Salzach is spanned by four bridges, including a railway bridge.
Under the designation of a duchy the territory formed the department of Salzach in Upper Austria until 1849, when it was made a separate crownland, and finally in 1861 the management of its affairs was entrusted to a local diet.