SAARBRUCKEN, a town of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine Province, on the left bank of the Saar, a navigable tributary of the Mosel, is situated 49 m.
With the towns of St Johann, immediately opposite on the right bank of the river, and Malstatt-Burbach, Saarbrucken forms a single community, the three places having been united in 1909.
Saarbrucken has four Protestant churches, a Roman Catholic and an Old Catholic church, and a town hall adorned with paintings by Anton von Werner, illustrating episodes of the war of 1870.
Other buildings are the castle, until 1793 the residence of the princes of the house of Nassau-Saarbrucken; a gymnasium, founded in 1615, and a celebrated mining academy.
The industries of St Johann-Saarbrucken include wool-spinning, brewing, and the manufacture of leather, tobacco, chemicals and iron wares.
Saarbrucken owes its name to a bridge which existed in Roman times.
In the Franco-Prussian War Saarbrucken was seized by the French on the 2nd of August 1870, but the first German victory on the heights of Spicheren, 3 m.
See Kollner, Geschichte der Stadte Saarbrucken and St Johann (Saarbrucken, 1865); Ruppersberg, Geschichte der ehemaligen Grafschaft Saarbricken (Saarbrucken, 1899-1903); and H.
Kniebe, Bilder aus Saarbriickens Vergangenheit (Saarbrucken, 1894).
Krohn, Ludwig der Deutsche (Saarbrucken, 1872).
In 1297 it was ceded by the count of Saarbrucken to the duke of Lorraine, and passed with Lorraine in 1766 to France, being transferred to Germany in 1871.
These hills are bordered on the west by the high plain of Lorraine and the coalfields of Saarbrucken, the former being traversed by the river Mosel.
Of other minerals (with the exceptions of coal, iron and salt treated below) nickel and antimony are found in the upper Harz; cobalt in the hilly districts of Hesse and the Saxon Erzgebirge; arsenic in the Riesengebirge; quicksilver in the Sauerland and in the spurs of the Saarbrucken coal hills; graphite in Bavaria; porcelain clay in Saxony and Silesia; amber along the whole Baltic coast; and lime and gypsum in almost all parts.
Saale, Hanover, Cassel, Kattowitz, Cologne, Konigsberg, Magdeburg, Munster, Posen, Saarbrucken and Stettin.
Under orders from Colbert de Croissy the jurists came upon the scene once more, and their unjust decrees were, sustained by force of arms. The Chambres de Run-ion sought for and joined to the kingdom those lands which were not actually dependent upon his new cor~quests, but which bad formerly been so: such as SaarbrUcken, Deux Ponts (ZweibrUcken) and Montbliard in 1680, Strassburg and Casale in 1681.