- John Rushworth (Historical Collections) is more precise.
- Essex (Letter to Sir Philip Stapleton, Rushworth Collection) calls him "an honest, judicious and stout man," an estimate of Deane borne out by Clarendon's "bold and excellent officer" (book xiv.
- Not only directed the republication of his father's declaration (Rushworth, ii.
- Waring, The Lindisfarne and Rushworth Gospels (Surtees Soc., 1854-1865); W.
- Of a somewhat later date is the celebrated Rushworth Version of the Gospels (MS. Bodl.