The national troops were well armed with Remington rifles, provided with abundant ammunition, equipped with artillery and supported by the fleet.
Remington, Codes and Statutes of Washington (ibid., 1910).
Its principal manufactures are Remington typewriters and Remington fire-arms (notably the Remington rifle); other manufactures are filing cabinets and cases and library and office furniture (the Clark & Baker Co.), knit goods, carriages and harness, and store fixtures.
In 1828 Eliphalet Remington (1793-1861) established here a small factory for the manufacture of rifles.
He invented, and, with the assistance of his sons, Philo (1816-1889), Samuel and Eliphalet, improved the famous Remington rifle, which was adopted by several European governments, and was supplied in large numbers to the United States army.
The last-named industry was sold to the Wyckoff, Seamans & Benedict Company in 1886, and soon afterwards, on the failure of the original Remington company, the fire-arms factory was bought by a New York City firm.
The post-office, which was established in 1845, was named Remington, in honour of Eliphalet Remington; but later the present name was adopted.