They took their chief meal in a common refectory at 3 P.M., up to which hour they usually fasted.
The hall of the Middle Temple is an admirable example of a refectory of later date (1572).
The gatehouse is restored as a residence, and the Early English refectory as a church.
Outside the refectory door, in the cloister, was the lavatory, where the monks washed their hands at dinner-time.
The immense refectory, of the same cruciform shape as that of St Laura, will accommodate 500 guests at its 24 marble tables.
He was, therefore, appropriately lodged in the immediate vicinity of the refectory and kitchen, and close to the guest-hall.
Refectory, dormitory, &c., and a church or chapel on one side, placed back to back.
In the Cistercian monasteries, to keep the noise and smell of dinner still farther away from the sacred building, the refectory was built north and south, at right angles to the axis of the church.
It was not, however, until the 5th of June that the case of Huss came up for hearing; the meeting, which was an exceptionally full one, took place in the refectory of the Franciscan cloister.
Close by are the remains of St Mary's Priory, which comprise a large Perpendicular gatehouse, refectory, precinct wall, abbot's gate and still-house.
The extensive buildings of the Cistercian abbey of Fontfroide, near Bizanet, include a Romanesque church, a cloister, dormitories and a refectory of the 12th century.
The portcullis gate and a tower are all that remain of it; of the abbey which was at one time the finest in Wales, there still exist the external walls, with parts of the chapel, vaulted chapter-house, refectory and abbot's house.
Amongst its benefactors were many Catholic Scots and English peers and gentlemen whose arms are emblazoned on the windows of the spacious refectory hall.
He has by many been called the father of modern music, and a portrait of him in the refectory of the monastery of Avellana bears the inscription Beatus Guido, inventor musicae.
The Merveille (1203-1264) consists of two continuous buildings of three storeys, that on the east containing, one above the other, the hospitium (aumonerie), refectory and dormitory, that on the west the cellar, knights' hall (salle des chevaliers) and cloister.
Of the apartments, all of the finest Gothic architecture, the chief are the refectory, divided down the centre by columns and lighted by large embrasured windows, and the knights' hall, a superb chamber, the vaulting of which is supported on three rows of cylindrical pillars.
The buildings are well preserved, consisting of a low square tower, church, cloisters, refectory and small chapterhouse.
(They had no refectory, but ate their common meal, of bread and water only, when the day's labour was over, reclining on strewn grass, sometimes out of doors.) Four times in the day they joined in prayers and psalms.
The outer court, which is much the larger, contains the granaries and storehouses (K), and the kitchen (H) and other offices connected with the refectory (G).
Opening from the western side of the cloister, but actually standing in the outer court, is the refectory (G), a large cruciform building, about loo feet each way, decorated within with frescoes of saints.
In closest connexion with the church is the group of buildings appropriated to the monastic life and its daily requirements - the refectory for eating, the dormitory for sleeping, the common room for social intercourse, the chapter-house for religious and disciplinary conference.
The kitchen, buttery and offices are reached by a passage from the west end of the refectory, and are connected with the bakehouse and brewhouse, which are placed still farther away.
The southern side is occupied by the "refectory" (K), from the west end of which by a vestibule the kitchen (L) is reached.
The upper story of the refectory is the "vestiarium," where the ordinary clothes of the brethren were kept.
The two "hospitia" or "guest-houses" for the entertainment of strangers of different degrees (X, X2) comprise a large common chamber or refectory in the centre, surrounded by sleeping-apartments.
Close to the refectory, but outside the cloisters, are the domestic offices connected with it: to the north, the kitchen, 47 ft.
Opposite the refectory door in the cloister are two lavatories, an invariable adjunct to a monastic dining-hall, at which the monks washed before and after taking food.
Was the refectory, with its lavatory at the door.
The small cloister lies to the south-east of the larger cloister, and still farther to the east we have the remains of the infirmary with the table hall, the refectory of those who were able to leave their chambers.
The buildings are completely ruined, but enough remains to enable us to identify the grand cruciform church (A), the cloister-court with the chapterhouse (B), the refectory (I), the kitchen-court with its offices (K, 0, 0) and the other principal apartments.
On the south side of the cloister stood the refectory (P), an immense building, loo ft.
The refectory opens out of the south cloister at G.
The position of the refectory is usually a marked point of difference between Benedictine and Cistercian abbeys.
The buildings belonging to the material life of the monks lay near the refectory, as far as possible from the church, to the S.W.
The church refectory, dormitory and other buildings belonging to the professional life of the brethren surround the great cloister.
On the south end projects the refectory (K), with its kitchen at I, accessible from the base court.
On the south side of the cloister we have the remains of the old refectory (II), running, as in Benedictine houses, from east to west, and the new refectory (12), which, with the increase of the inmates of the house, superseded it, stretching, as is usual in Cistercian houses, from north to south.
The arches of the lavatory are to be seen near the refectory entrance.
As peculiarities of arrangement may be noticed the position of the kitchen (Q), between the refectory and calefactory, and of the infirmary (W) (unless there is some error in its designation) above the river to the west, adjoining the guest-houses (XX).
The ruins, consisting of tower, choir, chapter-house, refectory and other apartments, are nearly hidden from view by their dense coating of ivy and the fine old trees, including many beautiful examples of copper beech, by which they are surrounded.
The cloister, refectory and chapter-house date from the 16th century.
The " coenobian " monasteries (Kow60ea), each under the rule of an abbot (iiyouµEvos), are subjected to severe discipline; the brethren are clothed alike, take their meals (usually limited to bread and vegetables) in the refectory, and possess no private property.
The two courts are divided by the main buildings of the monastery, including the church, the sanctuary (A), divided from B, the monks' choir, by a screen with two altars, the smaller cloister to the south (S) surrounded by the chapter-house (E), the refectory (X) - these buildings occupying their normal position - and the chapel of Pontgibaud (K).
The kitchen with its offices (V) lies behind the refectory, accessible from the outer court without entering the cloister.
The smaller of the two, the south, presents the usual arrangement of church, refectory, &c., opening out of a cloister.
At the Jacobins at Paris, a cloister lay to the north of the long narrow church of two parallel aisles, while the refectory - a room of immense length, quite detached from the cloister - stretched across the area before the west front of the church.
The refectory is on the west side and on the south the dormitory of the 13th century.
The plan given by Viollet-le-Duc of the Priory of St Jean des Bons Hommes, a Cluniac cell, situated between the town of Avallon and the village of Savigny, shows that these diminutive establishments comprised every essential feature of a monastery, - chapel, cloister, chapter-room, refectory, dormitory, all grouped according to the recognized arrangement.
Leading from the fine cloisters, also the work of Bramante, is the former refectory, on the walls of which Leonardo da Vinci painted his celebrated "Last Supper," a work which is unfortunately in a bad state of preservation.
On the high ground to the west lie ruins of the Cistercian abbey of Merevale, founded in 1149; they include the gatehouse chapel, part of the refectory and other remains exhibiting beautiful details of the 14th century.
Owing to the confined area, the buildings are closely packed together; but each monastery contains beside the monks' cells and water-cisterns, at least one church and a refectory, and some also a library.
The struggle ended in 1297 by an agreement between the two parties as to their common rights, and when the pope raised the excommunication incurred by the count, Saisset absolved him in the refectory of the Dominican monastery in Pamiers (1300).
Those on the refectory door of Merton College, Oxford, are a beautiful and well-preserved example dating from the 14th century.
The remains of the splendid foundation of St Martin's priory, of the 12th century, include the great gate, the house refectory, with campanile, and the spacious strangers' refectory, now incorporated in Dover College.
The interior of the refectory is very fine.
415): "Bread and meat would have robbed the ascetic of many an angel's visit: the opening of the refectory door must many a time have closed the gates of heaven to his gaze."
The conference was opened on the 9th of September in the refectory of the convent of Poissy, the king himself being present.
A fine crypt, along with remains of the prior's lodging, refectory and chapel, may still be viewed, as the priory was purchased by private subscription and handed over to the municipality in 1896.
Of the great church hardly any fragments rise above ground-level, but the chapter-house, refectory and cloisters remain in part, and the ivy-clad ruins stand in a beautiful setting of woodland.
This was the "Last Supper" undertaken for the refectory of the convent church of Sta Maria delle Grazie at Milan on the joint commission (as it would appear) of Ludovico and of the monks themselves.
The refectory stretches northwards at right angles to the cloister, which lies to the north of the church, having the chapter-house and sacristy on the east.