The poet William Cowper was born in the rectory in 1731.
JOHN WESLEY (1703-1791), English divine, was born at Epworth Rectory on the 17th of June (O.S.) 1703.
But for his services in defence of the faith the bishop of London gave him a stall in St Paul's; the bishop of Lincoln made him subdean of that cathedral, and the bishop of Durham conferred upon him the rectory of Bishopwearmouth.
Soon afterwards he was chosen fellow and tutor of his college; in 1676 he became chaplain to the bishop of Oxford, and in 1681 he obtained the rectory of Bletchington, Oxfordshire, and was made chaplain to Charles II.
The livings of Great Baddow, Essex, and of Wokey, Somerset, which he had received in 1546, and was presented in 1552 by the dean and chapter of Canterbury to the rectory of All Hallows, Lombard Street, London.
He also held the rectory of Stourton from 1801 to 1811 and that of Fovant from 1811 until his death.
On February 9, 1709, the rectory was burnt down, and the children had a narrow escape.
In 1640 he was presented to the sinecure living of Hartfield, Sussex, and in the following year he was made canon of Christ Church and exchanged to the rectory of Mildenhall, Wiltshire.
He appears to have also been a prebendary of St Paul's, and for a very short time he had held the rectory of St Giles in the Fields.
Among the rectors of Hadleigh several notable names appear, such as Rowland Taylor, the martyr, who was burned at the stake outside the town in 1 555, and Hugh James Rose, during whose tenancy of the rectory an initiatory meeting of the leaders of the Oxford Movement took place here in 1833.
Inthe rectory the boys had the run of an excellent library, and here the young poet based his wide knowledge of the English classics.
The new incumbent was willing that the Tennysons should continue to live in the rectory, which they did not leave until six years later.
In 1837, to their great distress, the Tennysons were turned out of the Lincolnshire rectory where they had lived so long.
He accepted the rectory of Elton in Huntingdonshire, but soon after went again to the continent, in order to study the methods of the Roman Catholic Church; and after a prolonged mental struggle he joined the Roman Catholic communion in November 1845.
In 1841 he resigned his living to become curate to Samuel Wilberforce, then rector of Alverstoke, and upon Wilberforce's promotion to the deanery of Westminster in 1845 he was presented to the rectory of Itchenstoke.
He appears to have survived till the year 1536; for on the 22nd of November in that year, the king presented John Garden to the rectory of Tyrie, vacant by the death of "Mr Hector Boiss."
In 1724 he became rector of Houghton-leSpring, Durham, resigning in 1727 on his appointment to the rectory of Ryton, Durham, and to a canonry of Durham.
In 1722 he was presented to the rectory of Ludgvan, and in 173 2 he obtained in addition the vicarage of St Just, his native parish.
After two years in Oxford, he was presented, in March 1638, by Juxon, bishop of London, to the rectory of Uppingham, in Rutlandshire.
ARTHUR COLLIER (1680-1732), English philosopher, was born at the rectory of Steeple Langford, Wiltshire, on the 12th of October 1680.
He received the rudiments of an excellent education at a free school in Dublin, and afterwards spent a year or two (1751-1752) under his father's roof at Skeyton rectory, Norfolk, and elsewhere, and for a short time he had Gibbon as a fellow-pupil.
Gave him in 1623 the sinecure lay rectory of Whitford, Flintshire, worth 120 a year.
His eldest son (Edmund), known as "the younger," was educated at Cambridge, and was ejected from the rectory of Moreton, Essex, in 1662.
To the rectory of Fobbing in Essex, and in 1673 he was presented by Bishop Sheldon to the rectory of Laindon in the same county.
Ordained about that time, he was named chaplain to Richard Cox, then bishop of Ely, and in 1575 was presented to the rectory of Teversham in Cambridgeshire.
The next year he was one of the preachers to the university, and in 1584 was presented to the rectory of St Andrew's, Holborn.
He matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford, but migrated to Merton, where he obtained a fellowship. In 1631 he was proctor and also chaplain to Philip, earl of Pembroke, then chancellor of the university, who presented him to the rectory of Bishopston in Wiltshire.
Before 1415 he was instituted to the rectory of Boston in Lincolnshire, and in 1420 he was consecrated bishop of Lincoln.
St Michael's church is a cruciform Early English and Decorated building, with a picturesque embattled rectory adjoining.
And was for two years tutor, after which he held from 1701 to 1711 the lectureship of St Mildred in the Poultry, and along with it from 1704 the rectory of St Peter-le-Poer, London.
In 1710 he was presented by a private patron to the rectory of Streatham in Surrey.
Wykeham's first benefice was the rectory of Pulham, the richest in Norfolk, worth X53 a year, or some £1600 of our money, to which he was presented on the 30th of November 1357.
On the 31st of October he was made a canon of York, and on the 15th of December provost of the fourteen prebends of Combe in Wells cathedral, while at some date unknown he obtained also prebends in Bridgenorth collegiate church and St Patrick's, Dublin, and the rectory of Menheniot in Cornwall.
On the 1st of June 1378, enabling Wykeham to found "a certain college he proposed to establish for 70 poor scholars, clerks, who should live college-wise and study in grammaticals near the city of Winchester," and appropriate to it Downton rectory, one of the richest livings belonging to his bishopric. The bull says that the bishop "had, as he asserts, for several years administered the necessaries of life to scholars studying grammar in the same city."
In 1721 he had been given a prebend at Salisbury by Bishop Talbot, who on his translation to Durham gave Butler the living of Houghton-le-Skerne in that county, and in 1725 presented him to the wealthy rectory of Stanhope.
In 1662 he was presented to the rectory of Ashwell, Herts.
In 1776 Paley was presented to the rectory of Musgrave in Westmorland, supplemented at the end of the year by the vicarage of Dalston, and presently exchanged for that of Appleby.
Meanwhile he had been presented by Bishop Moore to the rectory of Drayton, near Norwich.
In the same year through the influence of Bishop Moore, he obtained the rectory of St Benet's, Paul's Wharf, London.
Soon afterwards Queen Anne appointed him one of her chaplains in ordinary, and in 170 9 presented him to the rectory of St James's, Westminster.
The rectory of Aberdaron (on the mainland, opposite Bardsey), Penmachno and Llangwnadl(Llangwynhoedl), in Lleyn (S.
Though Aberdaron rectory does not belong to the isle, the farm "Cwrt" (Court), where the abbot held his court, still goes with Bardsey, which was granted to John Wynn of Bodvel, Carnarvonshire, after the battle and partial sack of Norwich by the Puritans in the Civil War; passing through Mary Bodvel to her husband, the earl of Radnor, who sold it to Dr Wilson of York.