The railway system of Sardinia is in the hands of two companies - the Compagnia Reale delle Ferrovie Sarde, and the Compagnia delle Ferrovie Secondarie della Sardegna.
The most attractive parts are the American quarter, where the employes of the Panama railway have their homes, and the old French quarter, where dwelt the French officers during their efforts to build the canal.
Kyaukse town is situated on the Zawgyi River and on the Rangoon-Mandalay railway line, and is well laid out in regular streets, covering an area of about a square mile.
A branch from this road ran to Olbia (followed closely by the modern highroad and railway also), and was perhaps the main line of communication, though the itineraries state that the road from Carales to Olbia ran through the centre of the island by Biora, Valentia, Sorabile (near Fonni) and Caput Thyrsi.
Asheville is situated at the junction of three branches of the Southern railway, on a high terrace on the east bank of the French Broad river, at the mouth of the Swannanoa, about 2300 ft.
Among Servian cities, Nish is only surpassed by Belgrade in commercial and strategic importance; for it lies at the point where several of the chief Balkan highroads converge, and where the branch railway to Salonica leaves the main line between Belgrade and Constantinople.
Of Bordeaux on the railway between Bordeaux and Poitiers.
It is an important station on the Oudh & Rohilkhand railway, with a junction for Aligarh.
It is served by the Panama railway, which crosses the Isthmus of Panama from ocean to ocean.
The railway runs through the centre of the rice-producing area, and feeder roads open up the country as far as the Shan foot-hills.
On the 2nd of July, while on his way to attend the commencement exercises at Williams College, the new president was shot in a Washington railway station by a disappointed office-seeker named Charles J.
The main line of the Orleans railway passes through a tunnel beneath the town.
This railway gives Cuzco an outlet to the coast, and also direct connexion with La Paz, the Bolivian capital.
It is divided between some twenty firms. The premises of Bass's brewery extend over Soo acres, while Allsopp's stand next; upwards of 5000 hands are employed in all, and many miles of railways owned by the firms cross the streets in all directions on the level, and connect with the lines of the railway companies.
It lies in the open valley of the Trent, at a short distance from the river, and near the important Trent Junction on the Midland railway system.
With the exception of railway shops, there are no important industrial establishments.
The railway between Mandas and Tortoli traverses some of the boldest scenery in the island, passing close to the Monte S.
Maximum, grows in wet sandy declivities by railway embankments or streams, &c., and is remarkable for its beauty, due to the abundance of its elegant branches and the alternately green and white appearance of the stem.
Long, and 95 in height, completed in 1868, and having two lines of railway and a footpath.
Of Leeds by the Midland railway, served also by the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway.
It is served by the New York, New Haven & Hartford railway, and by interurban electric lines running N., S.
By 1861 the population had grown to 17,688, chiefly owing to its position as an important railway junction.
The railway by Batoum to Baku by way of Tiflis has tended greatly to turn the channel of commerce from Trebizond into Russian territory, since it helps to open the route to Erivan, Tabriz and the whole of Persia.
From its own port of Punta Santiago, with which it is connected by a good road; a railway was under construction in 1908, and some of the sugar factories of the department are now connected by rail with the port.
The department is served chiefly by the lines of the Northern railway; in addition, the main line of the Eastern railway to Strassburg traverses the extreme south.
In 1871 a land company, promoted by railway officials, founded Birmingham.
NEW GLASGOW, a manufacturing and mining town of Pictou county, Nova Scotia, Canada, on the East river, near its entrance into Pictou Harbour, and the Intercolonial railway, 104 m.
The large industrial population of the town is occupied in the manufacture of lace, which extended hither from Nottingham; there are also railway carriage works.
The Great Southern railway has a line to the seaward end of the pier, and affords direct communication with the interior of the colony.
The city has railway shops and foundries, and manufactures furniture, carriages, tile, cigars and gas engines.
The railway station (39 m.
East of the railway from Chilivani to Oristano, on the other hand, the granitic mountains continue.
South of Oristano and west of the districts last described, and traversed by the railway from Oristano to Cagliari, is the Campidano (often divided in ordinary nomenclature into the Campidano of Oristano and the Campidano of Cagliari), a low plain, the watershed of which, near S.
Stavanger is the first port of call for northward-bound passenger steamers from Hull and Newcastle, and has regular services from all the Norwegian coast towns, from Hamburg, &c. A railway runs south along the wild and desolate coast of Jaederen, one of the few low and unprotected shores in Norway, the scene of many wrecks.
Ts'ingtao is connected by railway with Chinan Fu, the capital of the province; a continuation of the same line provides for a junction with the main Lu-Han (Peking-Hankow) railway.
Of Belfast on a branch of the Great Northern railway, standing on an eminence.
The opening of railway communication with London in 1906 resulted in a considerable accretion of residential population.
Railway development in West Virginia has been due largely to the exploitation of the coal and lumber resources of the state.
The railway mileage of the state grew with great rapidity in the decade 1880-1890; it was 691 m.
Concessions have been obtained by the French government to build a line of railway from the Tongking frontier at the town of Laokay via Mengtsze to Yunnan-fu.
Is said to have granted letters of protection to John Kemp, a Flemish weaver who settled in the town; and, although the coarse cloth known to Shakespeare as "Kendal green" is no longer made, its place is more than supplied by active manufactures of tweeds, railway rugs, horse clothing, knitted woollen caps and jackets, worsted and woollen yarns, and similar goods.
Angora is connected with Constantinople by railway, and exports wool, mohair, grain and yellow berries.