Or more above the sea, and sometimes level as a racecourse, spread out on all sides.
Adjacent are the parade ground and racecourse and the golf-links.
The racecourse, which lies south-west of the town, has a full extent of 4 m., but is divided into various lengths to suit the different races.
There are parks on the east and west of the town, and a new racecourse (1887) replaces that formerly on the site of the west park.
It is served by the London & South-Western and the London, Brighton & South Coast railways, and on the racecourse on the neighbouring Downs there is a station (Tattenham Corner) of the South-Eastern & Chatham railway.
Preston and Queen's parks are the principal of several public recreation grounds; and the racecourse at Kemp Town is also the property of the town.
Of the racecourse with Sidi Gabr, and does not end till the khedivial estates E.
The racecourse lies i m.
On the racecourse he was successful, and it is another proof of his native thoroughness that he gained a reputation as a handicapper.
The town has extended greatly on the southern side of the stream, where, in the direction of the racecourse, there are now numerous fine villas.
In the suburbs is a racecourse where the Western Meeting is held in September of every year.
The town possesses a fine European club, a racecourse, and good golf links.
Wagga-Wagga has a school of art with a library attached, a fine convent picturesquely situated on Mount Erin, a good racecourse and agricultural show-grounds.
Bull-fights have never been popular in Rio de Janeiro, but horse-racing is a favourite sport, and the Jockey Club maintains a racecourse in the Sao Francisco Xavier suburb.
Punchestown racecourse, 22 m.
Of parks and open spaces there are in the south, Brodie Park (22 acres), presented in 1871 by Robert Brodie; towards the north Fountain Gardens (7a acres), the gift of Thomas Coats and named from the handsome iron fountain standing in the centre; in the north-west, St James Park (40 acres), with a racecourse (racing dates from 1620, when the earl of Abercorn and the Town Council gave silver bells for the prize); Dunn Square and the old quarry grounds converted and adorned; and Moss Plantation beyond the north-western boundary.
Meanwhile the list of contests on the old racecourse, the stadium, had been enlarged.
On the south it was bordered by a portico with a single row of columns in front; on the east by a double portico, more than a stadium in length (220 yds.), and serving as a racecourse for practice in bad weather.
This street contains a fine stone church built in 1895 for the use of the Anglican community, a branch of the Bank of British West Africa, telegraph offices and the establishments of the principal trading firms. In Victoriaborg, a suburb of Ussher Town, are the residences of the principal officials, and here a racecourse has been laid out.