The site was platted in 1880, and the city was first incorporated in 1882 and again, as a city of the second class, in 1889.
Was platted in 1859 and was chartered as a city in 1869.
Osawatomie was settled about 1854 by colonists sent by the Emigrant Aid Company, and was platted in 1855 its name was coined from parts of the words "Osage" and "Pottawatomie."
In 1823 it was platted, and was named Calhoun in honour of John C. Calhoun, but this name was not popular and the former name was soon restored.
The settlement of the place, then called the Grand Traverse of the Flint, began in 1820, but Flint's growth was very slow until 1831, when it was platted as a village; it was chartered as a city in 1855.
In 1806 Friends from North Carolina and Pennsylvania settled near here, and Richmond was platted in 1816.
Warsaw was first platted in 1836, and became a city in 1875.
No spindle-whorls were found, but there were many varieties of cloth, platted and woven, bundles of yarn and balls of string.
The east side was platted in the summer of 1835, and very soon afterward the plat of a settlement on the west side was also recorded, Byron Kilbourn being the chief projector and proprietor of the latter.
Walker and known as "Walker's Point," was subsequently platted independently.
Of these municipalities Wyandotte, the oldest, was originally settled by the Wyandotte Indians in 1843; it was platted and settled by whites in 1857; and was incorporated as a town in 1858, and as a city in 1859.
Sioux City was settled about 1850, was platted in 1854, becoming the headquarters of a United States Land Office, was incorporated in 1856, and was chartered as a city in 1857.
In 1818 Joshua Forman bought an interest in the Walton tract, had the village platted, and became the " founder " of the city.
Zanesville was first platted in 1800 by Ebenezer Zane (r 747181 r) of Wheeling, Virginia (now West Virginia), his brother Jonathan, and John McIntire, his son-in-law, of Alexandria, Va., who under an act of Congress of 1796 surveyed a road from Wheeling to what is now Maysville, Kentucky, and received for this service three sections of land.
As originally platted by Joseph Ellicott, the plan of Buffalo somewhat resembled that of Washington, but the plan was much altered and even then not adhered to.
It was first settled in 1832; was platted as the town of Bourbonnais in 1853, when Kankakee county was first organized; was chartered as the city of Kankakee in 1855, and was re-chartered in 1892.
Trenton was platted in 1841, became the county-seat in the same year, and was incorporated as a town in 1857.
Westport, a little inland town - platted 1833, a city 1857, merged in Kansas City in 1899 - now a fashionable residence district of Kansas City - was a rival of Independence in the Santa Fe trade which she gained almost in toto in 1844 when the great Missouri flood (the greatest the river has known) destroyed the river landing utilized by Independence.
The intervening portions have however been platted and are now largely settled.
Dawson, and others, largely Southern politicians and members of Congress, bought lands here and platted a town which was named Superior.
Within the area under the government of the town of Superior, which was at first co-extensive with the county, West Superior was platted in 1883 and South Superior soon afterwards.
The original Rich Hill was platted in 1867 somewhat north-west of the site of the present city, which was platted in 1880 by an association that bought out the old settlement.
Steubenville was platted as a town in 1797, immediately after the erection of Jefferson county, and was built on the site of Fort Steuben, erected in 1786-1787, and named in honour of Baron Frederick William von Steuben; it received a city charter in 1851, and its city limits.
A trading-post licensed by the United States government was opened here in 1853, and a town platted in 1854.
It was platted and became the county seat in 1833, and was chartered as a city in 1885.
It was platted in October 1781 and called Bassettown in honour of Richard Bassett (d.
Nevada ("Nevada City" until 1869) was platted in 1855, was burned down in 1863 during the occupancy by the state militia in war time, was incorporated as a town in 1869, was entered by the first railway in 1870, and was chartered as a city in 1880.
Lancaster county was organized extra-legally in 1859, and under legislative act in 1864; Lancaster village was platted and became the county-seat in 1864 (never being incorporated); and in 1867, when it contained five or six houses, its site was selected for the state capital after a hard-fought struggle between different sections of the state (see Nebraska).'
Red Wing (named from an Indian chief) was platted in 1853 and was chartered as a city in 1857.