Of these the black-earth region - about 150,000,000 acres - which reaches from the Carpathians to the Urals, from the Pinsk marshes in the S.W.
Single lines are: Koszedari-JanovShavli-Murajevo-Lusha (to Mitau); Radzivilishki-Ponevez-Jalovka-Kalkuni (which joins the Vilna-Dvinsk double line at Kalkuni); Murajevo (Musheiki)-Ringen (to Mitau with ballasted track for second line); Suvalki-Pinsk-Olita-Daugi (to Orani), which joins a double line at Orani.
PINSK, a town of Russia, in the government of Minsk, at the confluence of the Strumen and Pina rivers, 196 m.
The draining of the marshes around Pinsk was begun by the government in 1872, and by 1897 8,000,000 acres had been drained at an average cost of 3s.
Pinsk (Pinesk) is first mentioned in 1097 as a town belonging to Sviatopolk, prince of Kiev.
Pinsk was annexed to Russia in 1795.
In the year 1851 Romuald Ziefikiewicz published Songs of the People of Pinsk, and collections have even appeared of those of the Kashoubes, a remnant of the Poles living near Danzig.
Other articles of commerce are rye, rye-flour, wheat, oats and buckwheat, which are sent partly up the Dnieper to Pinsk, partly by land to Odessa and Berislav, but principally to Ekaterinoslav, on light boats floated down during the spring floods.
Steamers ply in summer to Kremenchug, Ekaterinoslav, Mogilev, Pinsk and Chernigov.