When taken in an overdose paraldehyde kills by producing respiratory failure.
Small doses increase the sensibility of touch, sight and hearing; large doses cause twitching of the muscles and difficulty in swallowing; while in overdose violent convulsions are produced.
Ordinary doses have no effect upon the temperature but in overdose the temperature rises during a convulsion.
If taken in overdose or in a concentrated form tartaric acid produces severe gastro-enteritis.
On the 4th of December 1893, having been accidentally given an overdose of chloral, he died at Hindhead.