He was principal of the Latin school of Norwalk, Connecticut, in 1879-1883, and was professor of jurisprudence and political economy in the College of New Jersey (Princeton University) from 1884 until his death in Princeton, N.J., on the 21st of July 1889.
For the administration see the Constitution of the State of Ohio, adopted June 1851 (Norwalk, Ohio, 1897), and amendments of 1903 and 1905 published separately; the annual reports of the state treasurer, auditor, board of state charities and commissioner of common schools, the Ellis municipal code (1902) and the Harrison school code (1904).
NORWALK, a city of Fairfield county, Connecticut, U.S.A., on the Norwalk river, in the township of Norwalk, adjoining the city of South Norwalk in the same township, and 13 m.
The Norwalk Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution has erected here a drinking fountain in memory of Nathan Hale, who obtained in Norwalk his disguise as a Dutch school teacher and then started on his fatal errand to Long Island.
Norwalk has some manufactures, including woollen goods and typewriting machines; and there is some coasting trade, oysters especially being shipped from Norwalk.
The first settlement in the township was made in 1650 at what is now the village of East Norwalk by a small company from Hartford, and the township was incorporated in the next year.
The village was burned by the British under Governor Tryon on the 12th of July 1779, and the chair in which it is alleged Tryon sat, on Grumman's Hill, as he watched the flames, has been kept as a relic. Norwalk was incorporated as a borough in 1836 and was chartered as a city in 1893.
Selleck, Norwalk (Norwalk, 1896); and Norwalk after Two Hundred and Fifty Years, an Account of the Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of the Charter of the Town (South Norwalk, 1901).
Norwalk, Ohio >>
NORWALK, a city and the county-seat of Huron county, Ohio, U.S.A., about 55 m.
Norwalk was settled in 1817 and was named from Norwalk, Connecticut; it was incorporated as a town in 1829 and chartered as a city in 1881.
Are the westernmost of the counties created from the "Western Reserve," and comprise the "Fire Lands" grant made in 1792 by the state of Connecticut to the people of Greenwich, Fairfield, Danbury, Ridgefield, Norwalk, New Haven, East Haven and New London to indemnify them for their fire losses during the British expeditions in Connecticut under Governor Tryon in 1779 and Benedict Arnold in 1781.
SOUTH NORWALK, a city of Fairfield county, Connecticut, U.S.A., at the mouth of the Norwalk river, on Long Island Sound, in the township of Norwalk, and 42 m.
South Norwalk is chiefly a manufacturing and commercial city.
South Norwalk, long an unincorporated village called Old Well, was chartered as a city under its present name in 1870, and its charter was revised and amended in 1882, 1897 and 1909.