NANTWICH, a market town in the Crewe parliamentary division of Cheshire, England, 161 m.
Nantwich retains not a few old timbered houses of the 16th and 17th centuries, but the town as a whole is modern in appearance.
Nantwich has tanneries, a manufacture of boots and shoes, and clothing factories; and corn-milling and iron-founding are carried on.
From the traces of a Roman road between Nantwich and Middlewich, and the various Roman remains that have been found in the neighbourhood, it has been conjectured that Nantwich was a salttown in Roman times, but of this there is no conclusive evidence.
The name of the town appears variously as Wych Manbank, Wie Malban, Nantwich, Lache Mauban, Wysmanban, Wiens Malbanus, Namptewiche.
About the year 1070 William Malbedeng or Malbank was created baron of Nantwich, which barony he held of the earl of Chester.
This probably accounts for the lack of privileges belonging to Nantwich as a corporate town.
There is documentary evidence of a castle at Nantwich in the 13th century.
The one corn-mill of Nantwich was converted into a cotton factory in 1789, but was closed in 1874.
See James Hall, A History of Nantwich or Wich Milbank (1883).
In 1758 he obtained a more congenial congregation at Nantwich, where he opened a school at which the elementary lessons were varied with experiments in natural philosophy.
Uriconium, a town near the Wrekin, and Pengwyrn, the modern Shrewsbury, were destroyed; but soon Ceawlin was defeated by the Britons at Fethanleag or Faddiley, near Nantwich, and his progress was effectually checked.