In average width; at its east end is Munjoy Hill, 160 ft.
Munjoy Hill commands a fine view of Casco Bay, which is overlooked by other wooded heights.
The city's park system includes the Western Promenade, on Bramhall Hill; the Eastern Promenade, on Munjoy Hill; Fort Allen Park, at the south extremity of the latter promenade; Fort Sumner, another small park farther west, on the same hill; Lincoln Park, containing 2 acres of beautiful grounds near the centre of the city; Deering's Oaks (made famous by Longfellow), the principal park (50 acres) on the peninsula, with many fine old trees, pleasant drives, and an artificial pond used for boating; and Monument Square and Boothby Square.
The Portland Observatory, on Munjoy Hill, erected in 1807 to detect approaching vessels, rises 222 ft.
Established by George Cleeve and Richard Tucker at the foot of Munjoy Hill in 1633 immediately after they had been ejected from land which they had claimed at the mouth of the Spurwink.
Soon the hill at the east end became the property of George Munjoy and that at the west end the property of George Bramhall.