MORELIA (formerly Valladolid), a city of Mexico and capital of the state of Michoacan, 125 m.
Morelia is served by a branch of the Mexican National railway; its station is outside the city, with which it is connected by a small tramway line.
In common with the state of Michoacan, Morelia is a stronghold of clericalism and conservatism.
Committed by Nun() de Guzman), was removed to Valladolid (Morelia) a few years later to be combined with a local college, and was rebuilt in 1882.
The city's manufactures idclude cotton, woollen and silk textiles, cigars and cigarettes, and dulces, or sweetmeats, Morelia being noted throughout Mexico for the latter, particularly for a variety called Guayabate.
Morelia, first known as Valladolid, was founded in 1541 by Viceroy Mendoza.
Its name was changed to Morelia in 1828, in honour of the revolutionary leader Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon, and in 1863 it was made the see of an archbishop.
Besides Morelia, the capital and largest city, the principal towns of the state are: La Piedad (pop. 15,123), an important commercial town on the Lerma river and on the Mexican Central railway, 112 m.
Of Morelia; Zamora (10, 373), 75 m.
Of Morelia; Uruapan (98c8), on the Mexican National, 55 m.
Of Morelia in a mountainous district celebrated for the fine quality of its coffee; Puruandiro (7782), a commercial and manufacturing town 40 m.
Of Morelia; Patzcuaro (7621), on Patzcuaro lake, with a station on the Mexican National, 7550 ft.
Of Morelia near Lake Chapala; Zitacuaro (6052), 60 m.
His only printed works are a fragment on the Eucharist (inserted by Jean Mabillon in his edition of the works of St Bernard), and the Morelia Abbreviata and De Origine Animae (in E.
Of Morelia on a branch of the Mexican National, which also passes through the mining town of Angangueo (9115) in the same district; and Tacambaro (5070), 46 m.
Of Morelia in a fertile valley of the Rio de las Balsas basin.