The principal districts are the Fairmont (or Upper Monongahela) and the Elk Garden (or Upper Potomac) in the northern, and the Pocahontas (or Flat Top) and the New and Kanawha rivers districts in the southern part of the state.
Natural facilities for transportation, afforded by the Ohio river and its branches, the Monongahela, at the northern end of the state, and the Little Kanawha and the Great Kanawha, are of special value for the shipment of lumber and coal.
The Monongahela has been improved by locks and dams to Fairmont.
CHARLEROI, a borough of Washington county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., on the Monongahela river, near the S.W.
Of the Ohio, and to the eastward, between the Monongahela and the Kanawha rivers, but the grant was never actually issued.
Monongahela formation (or series)Upper Productive Coal Measures.
The Allegheny and Monongahela series contain most of the coal, though it is not wanting in the other subdivisions of the system.
Monongahela formation 200 250 ft.
The Pocono plateau, nearly all of the central and south-east provinces and the north-east portion of the Alleghany plateau are drained by the Susquehanna and Delaware river-systems into the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays; the greater part of the Alleghany plateau is drained by the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers into the Ohio river; the extreme southern portion of the central province and the extreme western portion of the south-east province are drained by tributaries of the Potomac; the Erie plain is drained by short streams into Lake Erie; and a very small section of the Alleghany plateau, in the northern part of Potter county, is drained by the Genesee river into Lake Ontario.
Of the state; the Ohio, Allegheny and Monongahela xxl.
The Monongahela is an older stream, but like the Allegheny, it meanders much, and both rivers flow in deeply intrenched valleys.
The Federal government has much improved the navigation of the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers and is committed to a project for slack-water navigation on the Ohio which is expected to give Pittsburg communication with the sea by vessels drawing 9 ft.
He was pastor of the Liberty Street Church of Pittsburg in 1835, and of a church at Williamsport (now Monongahela) in 1836.
MCKEESPORT, a city of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., at the confluence of the Monongahela and Youghiogheny rivers (both of which are navigable), 14 m.
From its junction with the Monongahela), and about 2 m.
PITTSBURG, or PITTSBURGH, 1 the second largest city of Pennsylvania, U.S.A., and the county-seat of Allegheny county, on the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers, 440 m.
West Side Belt, from Pittsburg to Clairton, 21 m.) railways, and by river boats on the Ohio, Monongahela and Allegheny.
Retail houses, wholesale houses, banks, tall office buildings, hotels, theatres and railway terminals are crowded into the angle, or "The Point," formed at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers, with Fifth Avenue as the principal thoroughfare, especially for the retail houses, and Fourth Avenue as the great banking thoroughfare.
The more attractive residential districts are on the plateau in the eastern portion of the district between the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers and on the hills overlooking the Allegheny river from the north.
Overlooking the Monongahela river is Schenley Park (about 422 acres), the first city park, of which about 400 acres were given to the city in 1890 by Mrs. Mary E.
The Monongahela from Pittsburg to the West Virginia state line (91.5 m.) was improved in 1836 sqq.
Coal is brought to the city from the coalfields by boats on the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers as well as by rail, and great fleets of barges carry coal and other heavy freight, such as steel rails, cotton ties, sheet iron, wire and nails, down the Ohio in the winter and spring.
The tongue of land formed by the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers, was a much more favourable situation for a fort and trading post than the one about two miles up the Monongahela (near the present site of McKees Rocks) which had been tentatively selected by the Ohio Company.
The first considerable settlement around the fort sprang up in 1760; it was composed of two groups of houses and cabins, the " lower town," near the fort's ramparts; and the " upper town," built chiefly along the banks of the Monongahela, and extending as far as the present Market Street.
South of the Monongahela river; in 1906 Allegheny (q.v.), although a large majority of those voting on the question in that city were opposed to it, was annexed, and in November 1907 the Supreme Court of the United States declared valid the act of the state legislature under which the vote was taken.
The column crossed the Monongahela river on the 9th of July and almost immediately afterwards fell into an ambuscade of French and Indians.