There still remain a minaret and some marble arches and columns.
The minaret was built by Abu Tachfin, sultan of Tlemcen, in 1324.
The minaret is 90 ft.
High, erected in 1831-1834 by the archbishop Ladislaus Pyrker (1772-1847); the church of the Brothers of Mercy, opposite which is a handsome minaret, 115 ft.
Over the western archway was a white cage for the muazzin, and outside it was a gigantic minaret 120 ft.
The beauty of this minaret cannot be exaggerated.
Above Khartum, one of the most thriving towns in the eastern Sudan; Sennar, 241 m above Khartum, the capital of the Funj empire and chief town of the mudiria of Sennarof the ancient city little remains except a mosque with a high minaret; and Roseires, 426 m.
Of the principal mosques the large Buyuk Djamia, with nine metal cupolas, has become the National Museum; the Tcherna Djamia or Black Mosque, latterly used as a prison, has been transformed into a handsome church; the Banyabashi Djamia, with its picturesque minaret, is still used by Moslem worshippers.
A ruined mosque with a tall minaret stands by the river-brink.
The Parthenon was transformed into a mosque; the existing minaret at its south-western corner was built after 1466.
Of the original building of the caliph Mostansir all that remains is a minaret and a small portion of the outer walls.
The Marjanieh mosque, not far from the minaret of Mostansir, although its body is modern, has some remains of old and very rich arabesque work on its surface, dating from the 1 4 th century.
The minaret of Suk el-Ghazl, in the south-eastern part of the city, dates from the 13th century.
The Mosque of the Vizier, on the eastern side of the Tigris, near the pontoon bridge, has a fine dome and a lofty minaret, and the Great Mosque in the square of el Meidan, in the neighbourhood of the serai, is also a noble building.
The great mosque (Jamaa-el-Kebir) has a brick minaret 112 ft.
The minaret is decorated with mosaics.
Only the minaret of the mosque, dating from the 14th century, and the battlemented wall, flanked by two towers, remain of its former magnificence.
In the immediate neighbourhood of the modern Tlemcen are numerous remains of the fortifications of Agadir (vide infra), and the minaret of the mosque, a beautiful tower dating Sidi from the 13th century, the lower part of which is built Medin.
Besides the walls and towers, and the minaret of the mosque, little remains of Mansura, of which Ibn Khaldun has left a contemporary and graphic sketch.
The minaret, notwithstanding that one side and parts of two other sides have perished, is one of the finest mosque towers in existence.
There are a minaret 60 ft.
The most notable of the mosques is the Mir-Arab, built in the 16th century, with its beautiful lecture halls; the chief mosque of the emir is the Mejid-kalyan, or Kok-humbez, close by which stands a brick minaret, 203 ft.
The interior of Mosul has an insignificant appearance, only a few of the older buildings being left, among which may be mentioned the Great Mosque, with its leaning minaret, formerly a church dedicated to St Paul.
There are several bazaars, baths and handsome mosques, one noted for its lofty minaret, and here the American Presbyterian mission has established a college for both sexes.
An old Moorish minaret has been turned into a clock tower.
Kamenets is the see of a Roman Catholic and a Greek Orthodox bishop. The Roman Catholic cathedral of St Peter and St Paul, built in 1361, is distinguished by a minaret, recalling the time when it was used as a mosque by the Turks (1672-1699).
It has a population of about 10,000, post and telegraph offices, and a fine minaret, built in the 12th century.
It consists of three parts: a cloistered court, from which rises the massive and stately minaret, the maksura or mosque proper, and the vestibule.
The minaret is faced with tiles and is surmounted by a gilded crescent.
1410, and that of Kait Bey (c. 1470), with a slender minaret 135 ft.
The mosque Sidi-el-Akhdar has a beautiful minaret nearly 80 ft.
Since the Turkish conquest a minaret has been erected at each of the four exterior angles of the building, and the interior has been adapted to the requirements of Moslem worship, mainly by the destruction or concealment of most of the mosaics which adorned the walls.