There are also several of the Martello towers of the Napoleonic era.
MARTELLO TOWER, a kind of tower formerly used in English coast defence.
The Martello tower was introduced in consequence of an incident of the French revolutionary wars.
The strong resistance offered by these three guns seems to have led to the conclusion that towers of this description were specially formidable, and Martello towers were built in large numbers, and at heavy expense, along the shores of England, especially on the southern and eastern coasts, which in certain parts are lined with these towers at short intervals.
The French tours modeles were somewhat similar to the Martello towers; their chief use was to serve as keeps to unrevetted works.
While the Martello tower owes its reputation and its widespread adoption in Great Britain to a single incident of modern warfare, the round masonry structure entered by a door raised high above the base is to be found in many lands, and is one of the earliest types of masonry fortification.
The Royal military canal which runs along the inland border of Romney Marsh, and connects the Rother with Hythe, was constructed in 1807 as part of a scheme of defence in connexion with the martello towers or small forts along the coast.
Martello Tower >>
Volunteers were mrolled, and the coast was dotted with Martello towers, many)f which yet remain as monuments of the time when the army)f England was encamped on the heights near Boulogne within 3ght of the English cliffs.