Kyaukse town is situated on the Zawgyi River and on the Rangoon-Mandalay railway line, and is well laid out in regular streets, covering an area of about a square mile.
Most of the Burmese amber is worked at Mandalay into rosary-beads and ear-cylinders.
PAKOKKU, a district in the Minbu division of Upper Burma, lying west of the Irrawaddy river and south of Mandalay, with the line of the Chin hills as a general boundary on the west.
It stretches along both sides of the Irrawaddy from the north of Mandalay to Thayetmyo, and embraces the Lower Chindwin, Shwebo, Sagaing, Mandalay, Kyaukse, Meiktila, Yamethin, Myingyan, Magwe, Pakokku and Minbu districts.
This river, rising in the Sham-Karen hills, flows first due north and then southward through the Kyaukse, Yamethin and Toungoo districts, its line being followed by the Mandalay-Rangoon railway as far south as Nyaunglebin in the Pegu district.
It is highest in the central zone, the mean of the maximum readings in such districts as Magwe, Myingyan, Kyaukse, Mandalay and Shwebo in the month of May being close on 100° F., while in the littoral and sub-montane districts it is nearly ten degrees less.
The dividing line runs from the mouth of the Sittang river along the railway to Mandalay, and thence continues northward, with the same general direction but curving slightly towards the east.
Other purely judicial officers are the judicial commissioner for Upper Burma, and the civil judges of Mandalay and Moulmein.
Two sawbwas are under the supervision of the commissioner of the Mandalay division, and two under the commissioner of the Sagaing division.
There are other ruby mines at Nanyaseik in the Myitkyina district and at Sagyin in the Mandalay district, where the mining is by native methods under licence-fees of Rs.5 and Rs.10 a month.
In addition to this the Mandalay Canal, 40 m.
Since the annexation of Upper Burma this has been extended to Mandalay, and the Mu Valley railway has been constructed from Sagaing to Myitkyina, a distance of 752 m.
The Mandalay-Lashio railway has been completed, and trains run from Mandalay to Lashio, a distance of 178 m.
In 1867 a treaty was concluded at Mandalay providing for the free intercourse of trade and the establishment of regular diplomatic relations.
The Burmese court, in contravention of the express terms of the treaty of 1869, created monopolies to the detriment of the trade of both England and Burma; and while the Indian government was unrepresented at Mandalay, representatives of Italy and France were welcomed, and two separate embassies were sent to Europe for the purpose of contracting new and, if possible, close alliances with sundry European powers.
On the 14th of November 1885 the British field force crossed the frontier, and advanced to Mandalay without incurring any serious resistance.
On the 28th of November the British occupied Mandalay, and next day King Thibaw was sent down the river to Rangoon, whence he was afterwards transferred to Ratnagiri on the Bombay coast.
From Thazi railway station on the Rangoon-Mandalay railway, with which it is connected by a cart-road.
To the north-east of Ava, and Mandalay, the present capital, 6 m.
On his deposition by King Tharawaddi in 1837, the capital reverted to Amarapura; but finally in 1860 the last capital of Mandalay was occupied by King Mindon.
From Mandalay: pop. (1901) 9626.
It lies between the Katha, Upper and Lower Chindwin and Mandalay districts.
Sagaing, the headquarters town, is opposite Ava, a few miles below Mandalay; pop. (190') 9643.
A steam ferry connects with the Rangoon-Mandalay line, and the steamers of the Irrawaddy Flotilla.
It is the present terminus of the Mandalay-Kun Long railway and of the government cart road from Mandalay, from which it is 178 m.
AMARAPURA (" the city of the gods"), formerly the capital of the Burmese kingdom, now a suburb of Mandalay, Burma, with a population in 1901 of 9103.
It was finally abandoned in 1860, when king Mindon occupied Mandalay, 5 or 6 m.
It has a station on the Rangoon-Mandalay railway, and is the junction for the line to Maymyo and the Kunlong ferry and for the Sagaing-Myitkyina railway.
The group of villages called Amarapura by Europeans is known to the Burmans as Taung-myo, "the southern city," as distinguished from Mandalay, the Myauk-myo, or "northern city," 3 m.
MYITKYINA, the most northerly of the districts of Upper Burma in the Mandalay division, separated from Bhamo district in 1895.
In Upper Burma three productive irrigation works were planned at the opening of the century - the Mandalay, the Shwebo, and the Mon canals, of which the first was estimated to cost -Rx.323,280, and to irrigate 72,000 acres.
It is now the headquarters of a district in the Mandalay division of Upper Burma (Chinese frontier).
MANDALAY, formerly the capital of independent Burma, now the headquarters of the Mandalay division and district, as well as the chief town in Upper Burma, stands on the left bank of the Irrawaddy, in 21 0 59' N.
Mandalay was built in1856-1857by King Mindon.
Trains run from Mandalay to Rangoon, Myit-kyina, and up the Mandalay-Kunlong railway.
It lies in the valley of the Irrawaddy, to the south of Mandalay, on the east bank of the river.
It is the terminus of the branch railway through Meiktila to the main line from Mandalay to Rangoon.
The country around Mandalay, as well as the hill country to the north, has suffered from severe earthquakes, one of which destroyed Ava in 1839.
MAYMYO, a hill sanatorium in India, in the Mandalay district of Upper Burma, 3500 ft.
Mandalay-Lashio railway 422 m.