LUXOR, more properly El-Aksur, "The Castles" (plur.
The temple of Luxor is one of the greatest of the monuments of Thebes (q.v.).
The sacred barks of the divinities preserved in the sanctuary of Karnak were then conveyed in procession by water to Luxor and back again; a representation of the festal scenes is given on the walls of the great colonnade.
The greater part of the old village of Luxor lay inside the courts: it was known also as Abu '1 Haggag from a Moslem saint of the 7th century, whose tombmosque, mentioned by Ibn Batuta, stands on a high heap of debris in the court of Rameses.
The principal street of Luxor follows the line of the ancient avenue.
High respectively) stood at Luxor until one of them was taken to Paris in 1831.
That his early outdoor life furnished a definite training for his after career is indicated by the fact that when he was about fourteen years of age he went with his father on a tour up the Nile as far as Luxor, and on this journey he made a collection of Egyptian birds found in the Nile valley, which is now in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C. Mr Roosevelt was educated at Harvard University, where he graduated in the class of 1880; 2 his record for scholarship was creditable, and his interest in sports and athletics was especially manifest in his skill as a boxer.
Continuing, transformed western Thebes monumentally: built three great temples in addition, that of Mont on the north of Karnak, the temple of Mut on the south and the temple of Ammon at Luxor, and connected the last two with the state temple of Karnak by avenues of sphinxes.
These two kings built the great columnar hall of Karnak, added a large court with pylons to Luxor, and on the west bank built the funerary temple of Seti at Kurna, and the Ramesseum with its gigantic colossus, besides other edifices of which only traces remain.
And the vast columnar hall of Rameses II.; the temple of and the well-preserved temple of Khons; the temple of Luxor and avenues of rams and sphinxes connecting all these.
These temples are described in the articles Karnak, Luxor and Architecture: Egyptian.
Of Cairo, and Luxor and Assuan in Upper Egypt.
The chief towns on the Nile, taking them in their order in ascending the river from Cairo, are Beni Suef, Minia, Assiut, Akhmim, Suhag, Girga, Kena, Luxor, Esna, Edfu, Assuan and Korosko.
Luxor (q.v.), pop. (with Karnak) 25,229, marks the site of Thebes.
The ancient Coptos (Keft) is represen~thdby the village of Kuft, between Luxor and Kena.
Thence it continues on the east bank to Luxor, where the broad gauge ceases.
From Luxor the lne continues on the standard African gauge (3 ft.
The Service of Antiquities now boasts a large annual budget and employs a number of European and native officialsa director, curators of the museum, European inspectors and native sub-inspectors of provinces (at Luxor for Upper Egypt and Nubia, at Assiut for Middle Egypt and the Fayum, at Mansura for Lower Egypt, besides a European official in charge of the government excavations at Memphis).
At Luxor the entire cella was rebuilt by Alexander.
His son Amenophis III., C. 1400 u.c., was a mighty builder, especially at Thebes, where his reign marks a new epoch in the history of the great temples, Luxor being his creation, while avenues of rams, pylons, &c., were added on a vast scale to Karnak.