South Lowestoft arose on the completion of harbour improvements, begun in 1844, when the outlet of the Waveney, reopened in 1827, was deepened.
South Lowestoft has a fine esplanade, a park (Bellevue) and other adjuncts of a watering-place.
Lowestoft (Lothu Wistoft, Lowistoft, Loistoft) owes its origin to its fisheries.
The men of Lowestoft as tenants on ancient demesne of the crown possessed many privileges, but had no definite burghal rights until 1885.
For several centuries before 1740 the fisheries were the cause of constant dispute between Lowestoft and Yarmouth.
In 1643 Cromwell performed one of his earlier exploits in taking Lowestoft, capturing large supplies and making prisoners of several influential royalists.
In the war of 1665 the Dutch under Admiral Opdam were defeated off Lowestoft by the English fleet commanded by the duke of York.
Gillingwater, An Historical Account of the Town of Lowestoft (ed.
BECCLES, a market town and municipal borough, in the Lowestoft parliamentary division of Suffolk, England; on the right bank of the river Waveney, 109 m.
The chief centre, however, of the fishery in the west of England is at Newlyn, near Penzance, where the small local sailing boats are outnumbered by hundreds of large boats, both sail and steam, which come chiefly from Lowestoft for the season.
Of Lowestoft, on the 3rd of June 1665.
After holding a curacy at Exbury in Hampshire, he became rector of St Thomas's, Winchester (1843), rector of Helmingham, Suffolk (1844), vicar of Stradbroke (1861), honorary canon of Norwich (1872), and dean of Salisbury (1880); but before taking this office was advanced to the new see of Liverpool, where he remained until his resignation, which took place three months before his death at Lowestoft on the 10th of June 1900.
At the Restoration he returned, and became one of the commissioners of the navy, but on the outbreak of the second Dutch War in 1664 he once more hoisted his flag as rear-admiral of the Blue, and took part in the battle of Lowestoft (June 3rd, 1665).
He next became chaplain to John Moore (1646-1714), the learned bishop of Norwich, from whom he received the living of Lowestoft in 1698.
SOUTHWOLD, a municipal borough and watering-place in the Lowestoft parliamentary division of Suffolk, England, 12 m.
Of Lowestoft, the terminus of the Southwold railway, which connects with the Great Eastern at Halesworth.
Belong to the western principality of Wales.3 The most easterly point is at Lowestoft, 1° 46' E., the most westerly is Land's End, in 5° 43' W.
Norwich and Ipswich, Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Harwich and Colchester may be mentioned in the north-eastern part, all depending for their prosperity on agriculture or on the sea; and a fringe of summer resorts on the low coast has arisen on account of the bracing climate.
Considered as a whole, the individual fish, by far the most important in the English fisheries, is the herring, for which Yarmouth and Lowestoft are the chief ports.