Loch Laggan and Loch Ericht are the principal lakes, and the district is abundantly watered by the Spey and its numerous tributaries.
Towards the middle of the island lies Loch Fada, nearly 2 m.
According to Dr Jakob Jakobsen, the name means the voe (waa) of the skollas, or booths, occupied by the men who came to attend the meeting of the ling, or open-air law court, which assembled in former days on an island in the Loch of Tingwall (hence its name), about 3 m.
This result was not, however, achieved before President Kruger had done his utmost to induce Sir Henry Loch to promise some revision in favour of the Transvaal of the London Convention.
The loch is 171 m.
LOCH AWE, the longest freshwater lake in Scotland, situated in mid-Argyllshire, 116 ft.
The river Awe, issuing from the north-western horn of the loch, affords excellent trout and salmon fishing.
Two miles north-west of Callander is the Pass of Leny, "the gate of the Highlands," and farther in the same direction is Loch Lubnaig, on the shores of which stand the ruins of St Bride's chapel.
End of Loch Voil, a lake at the foot of the Braes of Balquhidder.
LOCH LOMOND, the largest and most beautiful of Scottish lakes, situated in the counties of Stirling and Dumbarton.
From the west the loch receives the Inveruglas, the Douglas, the Luss, the Finlas and the Fruin.
Steamers make the tour of the loch, starting from Balloch and calling at Balmaha, Luss, Rowardennan, Tarbet, Inversnaid and Ardlui.
Ardrishaig (pop. 1285), a seaport on the west of the mouth of Loch Gilp, is the east terminus of the Crinan Canal.
During the summer there is a coach service to Ford at the lower end of Loch Awe.
Carlingwark Loch contains several islets, on one of which is a crannog, or ancient lake dwelling.
Above the sea, lies Loch Avon (or A'an), a narrow lake about 12 m.
MacCarthy (4 vols., Dublin, 1887-1901); The Annals of Loch Ce, edited by W.
For fully three-fourths of its length Loch Shiel has a south-westerly direction, but at Eilean Fhianain (Finnan's Island) it strikes towards the west.
Even pure waters, however, such as that of Loch Katrine (which forms the Glasgow supply), act so slowly, at least on such lead pipes as have already been in use for some time, that there is no danger in using short lead service pipes even for them, if the taps are being constantly used.
Loch Maree >>
It lies at the north-eastern end of Loch Linnhe, an arm of the sea, about 62 m.
In May 1895, on the urgent representations of Sir Henry Loch, the British government annexed Tongaland, including Kosi Bay, thus making the British and Portuguese boundaries conterminous on the coast of south-east Africa.
It is delightfully situated at the south-western extremity of Loch Ness, about 30 m.
He was afterwards rector of Abbreochy, Loch Ness, and later held a chantry in the cathedral of Norway.
The boundary between the counties of Perth and Stirling runs from Glengyle, at the head of the lake, down the centre to a point opposite Stronachlachar from which it strikes to the south-western shore towards Loch Arklet.
So much for the increased horrors of the chasm of Loch Fyne when emptied.
LOCH ERICHT, a lake partly in Inverness-shire and partly in Perthshire, Scotland, lying between the districts of Badenoch on the N.
The two ends of the loch are wholly dissimilar in character, the scenery of the upper extremity being majestic, while that of the lower half is pastoral and tame.
From the loch, is one of the pleasantest villages in the Highlands and has a great vogue in midsummer.
Other experiments in inductive telegraphy were made by Preece, aided by the officials of the British Postal Telegraph Service, in Glamorganshire in 1887; at Loch Ness in Scotland in 1892; on Conway Sands in 1893; and at Frodsham, on the Dee, in 1894.
It is an important harbour in connexion with the Loch Fyne herring-fishery, and there is also a distillery.
North of that of Ben Macdhui, may be reached from the latter with scarcely any descent, by following the rugged ridge flanking the western side of Loch Avon.
Loch Dilate lies 11 m.
It receives the Finnan and other small streams and discharges by the Shiel to the salt-water Loch Moidart.
It is situated at the head of Loch Ryan, an arm of the North Channel (Irish Sea), 59 m.
The oyster beds, for which Loch Ryan was once noted, are not cultivated, but the fisheries (white fish and herrings) are still of some consequence.
It stood on the banks of a small loch and was known as the Monastery of the Green Lake from the mass of confervae with which the water was continually covered.
M.1 The lakes of Asia are innumerable, and vary in size from an inland sea (such as Lakes Baikal and Balkash) to a highland loch, or the indefinitely extended swamps of Persia.
This was replaced by several castles in succession, of which one - Castle Dounie - was taken by Cromwell and burned by the duke of Cumberland in 1746, the conflagration being witnessed from a neighbouring hill by Simon, Lord Lovat, before his capture on Loch Morar.
It is traversed by the Grampian mountains and watered by the Tay, Tummel, Garry, Tilt, Bruar and other streams. Glen Garry and Glen Tilt are the chief glens, and Loch Rannoch and Loch Tummel the principal lakes.
An island in Loch Awe has a Celtic legend containing the principal features of Arthurian story; but in this case the word is "berries" instead of "apples."
It is situated on a platform of conglomerate rock forming a promontory at the south-west of the entrance to Loch Etive and is surrounded on three sides by the sea.
On the coast of Loch Nell, or Ardmucknish Bay, is the vitrified fort of Beregonium, not to be confounded with Rerigonium (sometimes miscalled Berigonium) on Loch Ryan in Wigtownshire - a town of the Novantae Picts, identified with Innermessan.
Kenneth is alleged to have brought the Stone of Destiny, on which the Celtic kings were crowned, from Dunstaffnage Castle on Loch Etive, and to have deposited it in Scone, whence it was conveyed to Westminster Abbey (where it lies beneath the Coronation Chair) by Edward I.
In the centre is a bold rock, crowned by the castle, between which and the new town lies a ravine that once contained the Nor' Loch, but is now covered with the gardens of Princes Street.
The older are Princes Street Gardens, covering the old Nor' Loch, Calton Hill, the Meadows and the Bruntsfield Links.
In winter the game of curling is played on Duddingston Loch, and Dunsappie, St Margaret's Loch, Lochend and other sheets of water are covered with skaters.
Both the Lochy and the Nevis enter Loch Linnhe immediately to the north of Fort William.
This led to a protest, and eventually a visit to Pretoria, from Sir Henry Loch the high commissioner.
The St Fillan whose feast is kept on the 20th of June had churches dedicated to his honour at Ballyheyland, Queen's county, Ireland, and at Loch Earn, Perthshire.
Mary was, on the 21st of June 1567, a prisoner in Loch Leven Castle.
LOCH KATRINE, a freshwater lake of Scotland, lying almost entirely in Perthshire.
William Gilpin, who is so admirable in all that relates to landscapes, and usually so correct, standing at the head of Loch Fyne, in Scotland, which he describes as "a bay of salt water, sixty or seventy fathoms deep, four miles in breadth," and about fifty miles long, surrounded by mountains, observes, "If we could have seen it immediately after the diluvian crash, or whatever convulsion of nature occasioned it, before the waters gushed in, what a horrid chasm must it have appeared!
Inversnaid is the point of arrival and departure for the Trossachs coaches, and here, too, there is a graceful waterfall, fed by the Arklet from the loch of that name, 22 m.
LOCHGILPHEAD, a municipal and police burgh of Argyllshire, Scotland, at the head of Loch Gilp, a small arm on the western side of Loch Fyne.
It is situated on Carlingwark Loch, 191 m.
LOCH SHIEL, a lake near the Atlantic seaboard of Scotland, lying between the district of Moidart in Inverness-shire and the districts of Ardgour and Sunart in Argyllshire.
Of Loch Shiel, into which it flows by the Polloch.
There are sheets of fresh water in the larger islands, the most important being Strom Loch (2 m.
Long) and Spiggie (1 ?„- m.) in Mainland; and Loch of Cliff (2 m.) in Unst, and numerous short streams. The principal capes are Sumburgh Head, the most southerly point of Mainland, a bold promontory 300 ft.
From its source in Loch Freuchie.
Jameson and his men were conveyed to Pretoria as prisoners, and subsequently handed over to the high commissioner (Sir Hercules Robinson, who had succeeded Sir Henry Loch in June 1895).
In 1763 the first North Bridge, connecting the Old Town with the sloping ground on which afterwards stood the Register House and the theatre in Shakespeare Square, was opened; a little later the Nor' Loch was partially drained, and the bridging of the Cowgate in 1785 encouraged expansion southwards.
Part of the shore is skirted by the West Highland railway, opened in 1894, which has stations on the loch at Tarbet and Ardlui, and Balloch is the terminus of the lines from Dumbarton and from Stirling via Buchlyvie.
There are other interesting places on Loch Etive, an arm of the sea, measuring 194 m.
But if, using the shortest diameter of Loch Fyne, we apply these proportions to Walden, which, as we have seen, appears already in a vertical section only like a shallow plate, it will appear four times as shallow.
Inversnaid was in the heart of the Macgregor country, and the name of Rob Roy is still given to his cave on the loch side a mile to the north and to his prison 3 m.
One mile west of Lerwick is Clickimin Loch, separated from the sea by a narrow strip of land.