An historical interest also attaches to the Gasthof zum Goldenen Kreuz (Golden Cross Inn), where Charles V.
The decoration of merit for ladies (Verdienst-kreuz), founded in 1870, was raised to an order in 1907.
Notable among its seven churches (six Roman Catholic) are the Kloster-Kirche (monasterial), a beautiful Gothic edifice with the sarcophagus of Maria of Brabant, and that of the former Benedictine abbey, Heilig-Kreuz, with a lofty tower.
The town received the freedom of the Empire in 1308, and maintained its position in spite of the encroachments of Bavaria till 1607, when the interference of the Protestant inhabitants with the abbot of the Heilig-Kreuz called forth an imperial law authorizing the duke of Bavarip to inflict chastisement for the offence.
See Konigsdorfer, Geschichte des Klosters zum Heiligen Kreuz in Donauwarth (1819-20).