Of Konakry on the Gulf of Guinea.
They were desired by France because of their geographical position, Konakry, the capital of French Guinea, being built on an islet but 3 m.
In about 9° 30' N., off the promontory of Konakry, lie the Los Islands, forming part of the colony.
The principal towns are Konakry the capital, Boke, on the Rio Nunez, Dubreka, on the coast, a little north of Konakry, Benty, on the Melakori, Timbo and Labe, the chief towns of Futa Jallon, Heremakono and Kindia, on the main road to the Niger, Kurussa and Siguiri, on a navigable stretch of that river, and Bissandugu, formerly Samory's capital, an important military station east of the Niger.
Konakry, in 9° 30' N., 13° 46' W., population about 20,000, is the one port of entry on the coast.
It is built on the little island of Tombo which lies off the promontory of Konakry, the town being joined to the mainland by an iron bridge.
During the administration of Noel Ballay (1848-1902), governor of the colony 1890-1900, Konakry was transformed from a place of small importance to one of the chief ports on the west coast of Africa and a serious rival to Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Konakry is a port of call for French, British and German steamship companies, and is in telegraphic communication with Europe.
The railway from Konakry to the Niger at Kurussa, by the route chosen a distance of 342 m., was begun in 1900, and from 1902 has been built directly by the colony.
Long, from Konakry to Kurussa, the road in its lower part being close to the Sierra Leone frontier, with the object of diverting trade from that British colony.
The right of France to the littoral as far south as the basin of the Melakori was recognized by Great Britain in 1882; Germany (which had made some attempt to acquire a protectorate at Konakry) abandoned its claims in 1885, while in 1886 the northern frontier was settled in agreement with Portugal, which had ancient settlements in the same region (see Portuguese Guinea).
The development of commerce with the rich regions north and east of the protectorate has been hindered by the diversion of trade to the French port of Konakry, which in 1910 was placed in railway communication with the upper Niger.
Moreover, the main trade road from Konakry to the middle Niger skirts the N.E.