Accrington (Akerenton, Alkerington, Akerington) was granted by Henry de Lacy to Hugh son of Leofwine in Henry II.'s reign, but came again into the hands of the Lacys, and was given by them about 1200 to the monks of Kirkstall, who converted it into a grange.
The date of the original chapel is unknown, but it was probably an oratory which was an offshoot of Kirkstall Abbey.
The English Cistercian houses, of which there are such extensive and beautiful remains at Fountains, Rievaulx, Kirkstall, Tintern, Netley, &c., were mainly arranged of ter the same plan, with slight local variations.
As an example, we give the groundplan of Kirkstall Abbey, which is one of the best pre Abbeyall served.
- Kirkstall Abbey, Yorkshire (Cistercian).
Up the river from the centre of the city, containing the celebrated ruins of Kirkstall Abbey.
Apart from Kirkstall there are few antiquarian remains in the locality.