In 1879, at Kilburn, the competition was of railway waggons to convey perishable goods long distances at low temperatures.
The manor of Wembley belonged to the priory of Kilburn until that foundation was dissolved by Henry VIII.
Kilburn, which as a district extends outside the borough, takes name from a stream which, as the Westbourne, entered the Thames at Chelsea.
The adjoining residential districts are Harlesden on the south, Kilburn and Brondesbury on the east, Cricklewood and Neasden (with the works of the Metropolitan railway) on the north.
Kilburn Scott, "Refractory Materials for Furnace Linings," Faraday Soc., 1906, p. 289).