The first "old Fort Kearney" was established on the site of Nebraska City in 1847, but was abandoned in 1848, and the fort was re-established farther W.
This city, together with Kearney City, incorporated in 1855 - adjacent to the first "old" Fort Kearney - and South Nebraska City, were consolidated by the legislature into the present Nebraska City in 1858.
In 1877-1878 Denis Kearney (1847-1907), an Irish drayman and demagogue of considerable force and daring, headed the discontented.
The state supports the following charitable and correctional institutions all under the inspection of a State Department of Charities and Correction (1905); hospitals for the insane at Trenton and Morris Plains; a training-school for feeble-minded children (partly supported by the state) and a home for feeble-minded women at Vineland; a sanatorium for tuberculous diseases at Glen Gardner; a village for epileptics, with a farm of 700 acres, near Skillman, Somerset county; a state home (reform school) for boys near Jamesburg, Middlesex county, and for girls in Ewing township, near Trenton; a state reformatory for criminals sixteen to thirty years of age, near Rahway; a state prison at Trenton; a home for disabled soldiers at Kearney,' Hudson county; a home for disabled soldiers, sailors and their wives at Vineland"; and a school for the deaf at Trenton.
A National Forest of 302,387 acres in Finney, Kearney, Hamilton and Grant counties was set aside in May 1908.
In the western third irrigation has been tried, in the earlier years unsuccessfully; in all Kansas, in 1899, there were 23,620 acres irrigated, of which 8939 were in Finney and 7071 in Kearney county.
Were for the three cities which in 1900 had a population of at least 8000) in 1900, and 81.7 in 1905; the percentage for these cities being 53.3 in 1900 and 43.5 in 1905 for South Omaha, 29.2 in 1900 and 34.9 in 1905 for Omaha, and 2.1 in 1900 and 3.4 in 1905 for Lincoln; Nebraska City, Fremont, Grand Island, Beatrice, Hastings, Plattsmouth and Kearney were the only other manufacturing centres of any importance.
In 1900 three cities had a population above 25,000 - Omaha, 102,555; Lincoln, 40,169; South Omaha, 26,001 - and seven others had a population between 8000 and 8000 - Beatrice, Grand Island, Nebraska City, Fremont, Hastings, Kearney and York.
There are four state normal schools-one at Peru (opened 1867), one at Kearney (1905), one at Wayne (originally private; purchased by the state in 1909) and one, provided for by the legislature of 1909, situated in the north-western part of the state.
Kearney was maintained where Nebraska City now stands in 1847-1848, and in the latter year was re-established on the Platte, some 175 m.
Kearney, or Dobey Town.'
Kearney on the way to Oregon, California or Utah.