British numbered (in 1917) 820, of whom 588 lived in the Katanga province.
Elisabethville (founded 1910), the capital of Katanga, had a white pop. in 1920 of about 1,600.
Up to the outbreak of the World War all the Katanga copper was bought by Germans; thereafter it was sent to Britain.
Rhodesian railways and runs through Katanga reached Elisabethville in Oct.
The length of the Katanga line is 450 m.
From Chilongo, on the Katanga railway, the building of a line westward to the Angola frontier - about 400 m.
This line is to link up with the Benguella railway and put Katanga in direct communication with Lobito Bay, thus reducing the distance to Europe, compared with the Beira route, by over 3,000 miles.
With the development of commerce, and especially of the Katanga mines - in which the colony had a two-thirds interest - the prospects of balancing the budget became good.
The governor-general had, however, practically no authority in the province of Katanga, which, in 1910, except that it had no separate budget, became a separate colony.
A small steamer, the " Good News," was placed on the lake by the London Missionary Society in 1884, but afterwards became the property of the African Lakes Corporation; a larger steamer, the " Hedwig von Wissmann," carrying a quick-firing Krupp gun, was launched in 1900 by a German expedition under Lieutenant Schloifer; and others are owned by the " Tanganyika Concessions " and Katanga companies.
It is intended to serve the Katanga copper mines.
From the seaports of Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London, Durban, Lourenco Marques and Beira railway lines run to Kimberley, Bloemfontein, Johannesburg and Pretoria, while a trunk line extends north from Kimberley through Rhodesia (in which gold mining began on an extensive scale in 1898) and across the Zambezi below the Victoria Falls into the Congo basin, where it serves the Katanga mineral area.
The distance from Cape Town to Katanga is over 2100 miles.
In the district of Katanga, the state entered into partnership with private companies for the exploitation of the resources of the regions concerned.
In Katanga the companies holding concessions and the state are jointly represented by the Comite special du Katanga.
Of these companies the Union miniere du Haut Katanga had for object the development of the mineral wealth of the district named, while the Chemin de fer du Bas Congo undertook to build a railway from Leopoldville to Katanga.
The ancient rocks of Katanga form the southern boundary.
The Katanga, one of the Luba tribes, also founded a kingdom of some extent and power.
In southern Katanga a tribe called Bassanga are cave-dwellers, as are also the Balomoto, who live in the Kundelungu hills west of Lake Mweru.
The Katanga kingdom, then ruled by an Unyamwezi adventurer named Msiri, was overthrown by the Congo State in 1891.
The kingdom of the Cazembe, which was to the south and east of Katanga, has also vanished.
The total length of steam communication by this route, from Katanga to the mouth of the Congo, is about 2150 m.
The Katanga region is also served by lines forming a continuation of the Northern Rhodesia railway system.
The Ruwe gold mine is in the Katanga district in the south of the colony.
The wealth of Katanga in copper is great, the richest deposits being in the southern districts, adjacent to the Northern Rhodesia border.
Tin is found on the western edge of the Katanga copper belt and extends north along the banks of the Lualaba.
It is divided into zones, of which the chief are Stanley Falls, Ponthierville, and that administered by the Katanga committee.
The railway, a British enterprise, was designed to serve the copper mines of Katanga, Belgian Congo, and work on the remaining 480 m.